OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Open document - History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supertub

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Open document - History Reply with quote

G'day all,

Just attempting to get OO 2 set-up on a Win2000 box so I can finally switch from MS Word Laughing

My problem is I have been using/testing OO for years and when I go to open an existing document the file list produced in history is extremely long and takes a considerable time to load.

I have had a look through the forums and it appears there may be a macro to clear the history but I haven't seen any comment that it works in 2.0 or where to find it or how to install it, so I have a few queries.

Is there a way to clear the previously opened document history, as distinct from the recent document list?

Is there a configuration option to restrict the length of the number of items listed in history.

Does anybody else have problems with the open file dialogue box not remembering the state of the view menu, list/details/etc, and the document type selected, *.*/.doc/etc?

As a work-around, as the items in history appear to be shortcuts only, would listing the items in history by date and selecting those no longer required and deleting them via right click work and be a reasonable solution?

And one final query, not directly related, is there a way to force Writer to open documents in a default view format, ie, with both print view and web view turned off, something similar to normal view in MS Word?

Thanks in advance and I hope not too many of the above have been posed and answered before.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Open document - History Reply with quote

Supertub wrote:
G'day all,

Just attempting to get OO 2 set-up on a Win2000 box so I can finally switch from MS Word Laughing

My problem is I have been using/testing OO for years and when I go to open an existing document the file list produced in history is extremely long and takes a considerable time to load.

Do you mean more than 20 entries?

Quote:
I have had a look through the forums and it appears there may be a macro to clear the history but I haven't seen any comment that it works in 2.0 or where to find it or how to install it, so I have a few queries.

Is there a way to clear the previously opened document history, as distinct from the recent document list?

Is there a configuration option to restrict the length of the number of items listed in history.

http://www.ooomacros.org/user.php#100070

By the way, you may get more answers with shorter questions, perhaps breaking different questions into different messages. Smile
Supertub

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

Quote:

At least hundreds, perhaps thousands, there are shortcuts for documents going back to 2001.

Quote:
By the way, you may get more answers with shorter questions, perhaps breaking different questions into different messages.

Thanks for the tip. I'll wait and see how I go and perhaps repost some questions as single items.[/quote]
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supertub wrote:
Thanks for the response.

Quote:

At least hundreds, perhaps thousands, there are shortcuts for documents going back to 2001.

Wow. If we're talking about OpenOffice.org's File->Recent Documents list, this is either a corrupt configuration or a new, unreported bug. Using default settings, my list is about 10 entries.

If you are interested in reporting the problem as a bug (defect), you can do so at <http://qa.openoffice.org>. Thougn, this defect sounds tricky to make it reproducible, which is required for fixing it.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahz wrote:
Supertub wrote:
Thanks for the response.

Quote:

Wow. If we're talking about OpenOffice.org's File->Recent Documents list, this is either a corrupt configuration or a new, unreported bug. Using default settings, my list is about 10 entries.

If you are interested in reporting the problem as a bug (defect), you can do so at <http://qa.openoffice.org>. Thougn, this defect sounds tricky to make it reproducible, which is required for fixing it.

I can't replicate this either, running 2.0 under W2K. I even tried opening ten files at once, and then closed them all down. It made no difference to the number of files ashowing in my "Recent Documents" list, which stayed at ten.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxqnz wrote:

I can't replicate this either, running 2.0 under W2K. I even tried opening ten files at once, and then closed them all down. It made no difference to the number of files ashowing in my "Recent Documents" list, which stayed at ten.

I noticed that occasionally my Windows 2000 documents history in the Start menu grows to some 50 items until I logout, but this is not OpenOffice.org's fault and I don't know how to specifically reproduce it.
Supertub

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No, it's not the recent documents list, it's the result of hitting the history button after using Ctrl + O, that is the history in the open file dialogue box.

When using Word, history only lists about 40 documents or directories.

Thanks, Paul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: