OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOo as NT service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zsolt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: OOo as NT service Reply with quote

Hello!

Can I run OOo as an NT service ? Or it is possible only from the command line using the following command ?

soffice.exe -invisible -accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp;StarOffice.NamingService

Many thanks !
Zsolt
DannyB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could, would you really want to?

I assume you want OOo as an NT service so that it can be running even when nobody is logged in.

What happens when a program running as a service tries to put up any user interface? (I don't know the answer to that.) Launching it with the -invisible option might be an option.

Isn't it possible to build a Service in Visual Basic using a wizard? (Again, I don't know VB, but I've seen this done.) If so, then build a trivial wrapper "service" in VB that gets the proper service events (i.e. start, stop) and then launches or terminates the soffice program. Launch soffice with -invisible. Terminate soffice by using automation from VB to get the Desktop object and then call the terminate() method on it.

I'm assuming that you want to do something like make API calls to a running OOo service in order to do document conversion from one type to another. For example, a web service or page that converts XLS to PDF could be implemented by calling OOo via. its api. When you open the XLS document, be sure to add a property that indicates to open it hidden. I learned about that last weekend when building my Document Converter program, which is also described here

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2810

on OOoForum.
DannyB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See these for running OOo as an NT service.

http://api.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=863018&listName=dev

http://www.techeez.com/windows_tips/service_under_nt.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: