OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How do I make OpenOffice the default app for all file types?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanelson
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: How do I make OpenOffice the default app for all file types? Reply with quote

I'm using Windows XP SP2 and OOo 2.0. After playing around a bit with OOo, I have noticed that it does not set itself as the default application for all file types that it supports, and I do not see an easy way to do this. For example Rich Text Format (.rtf) documents are still set to open MS Word, while Word Perfect Documents (.wpd) are not associated with any programs. I know that you can use the Windows File Types window to set them all manually, but this is very cumbersome considering the vast amount of extensions OOo can open, many of which I don't even know what they are, but I would like for OOo to open them if I ever do come across them, otherwise I will not know what to do with them.
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sanelson,

1. Right-click on the file
  2. Select Open With...
  3. Choose OpenOffice.org 2.0 from the list of Programs
  4. Make sure the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file box is checked
  5. Click OK

HTH Smile,
sanelson
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I already know about that though. I was just looking for a way to automatically register all known file types with OOo, so that in the future, if I receive a jtd, or a hwp , wps, or whatever kind of file that I've never heard of, I will be able to double click on it and open it without trying to figure out what it is and what should open it first. Like Winamp, and QuickTime, and all the media players have a setup option to choose which file types they should be associated with. You can choose all video files, or all audio files, or all streaming files, or all all filetypes made by application X, or all files. OOo should have a similar thing, so that you can choose OOo files, MSO files, WP files, all text files, all presentations, all spreadsheets, all dbases, or all files.

I guess there's not a way to do this with OOo.
MikeN
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand what you are asking for and I was thinking about this only the other day at work.

Obviously, different operating systems handle file associations in different ways, but I think the Windows version of OOo should have an extra section in the Options dialogue for managing OOo file associations, in addition to the initial file association settings in the installer, which should set some sensible defaults.

Basically this should list all the file formats that OOo supports with a tick box to allow the users to set and unset that file's association with OOo. This should then configure the file associations for OOo globally for all users. There are a numerous examples of this in other Windows applications.

Maybe one day... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: