OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Hiding Objects/Graphics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zhangweiwu
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Hiding Objects/Graphics Reply with quote

As I read through OOO off the wall: my objects all sublime I noticed:

Graphisc can be turned on/off using the graphos On/Off button on the left side of the editing window.

But I never found this button!

I have a very large photo on the frontpage of the document, I meet exactly the problem as described in that ooo article: it's too slow to display the photo as well as scrolling through it. I wish to turn off the photo so that it only shows in print view and in printed versions.

I never know what is 'editing window' and there seems to be no on/off button anywhere. I am using OOO2

Any hints?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any button, nor any reference to a button, but display of graphics can be turned off in Tools, Options, OpenOffice.org Writer, View.

You could add a button to the toolbar, a keyboard shortcut, or add an item to the view menu if you need to change the option frequently.
zhangweiwu
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo Off the Wall: My Objects All Sublime wrote:
URI = http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7915

Hiding Objects

With a large file or a slow computer, objects can make a noticeable difference in the time it takes to open, save or scroll through a file. Rather than enduring patiently, you can choose to display a standard placeholder instead of the object. Graphics can be turned on and off using the Graphics On/Off button on the left side of the editing window, and other objects can be turned on and off by making selections in Tools -> Object -> Text Document -> Display.

Actually it makes a lot of difference hiding all images or hiding just one or two. E.g. I have a lot of small images in the document, only one photo is too detail and too large (span over a page) that I wish to hide. Of course, if there is no way to not display one single image, then let's accept it.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nearly always a way if you look hard enough. You could select the page or paragraph that contains the picture's anchor, then Format, Character, Hidden. Just remember to turn it back on when you are ready to print.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: