OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

hyperlinks to bookmarks in HTML files not possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomcloyd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: hyperlinks to bookmarks in HTML files not possible? Reply with quote

I've crashed OO Writer 4 times trying to do this. I'm working in an HTML file, and I want to link from one part of the file to another. This involves a standard HTML intenal link. The form of this link should be something like <a href="#xxx">{link text)</a>. I've done this many many times using other HTML editors.

There appear to be many problems with this idea in OO writer. First, the menu does not offer a way to set a link anchor. I see that Navigator lists my already established anchors (from working on this file using another program) as bookmarks. So, I set a bookmark as my anchor. This does, indeed create the correct HTML in my source file.

However, trying to create link to this anchor appears not to be possible (other than by manual code insertion in the HTML source). First, the Hyperlink bar does NOT work as advertised in the help file. I set the link up and then click everything I can find, and nothing happens. No link is inserted in my text. Nothing. It just doesn't work.

Then I try to use the Insert > Hyperlink dialog or window or whatever it's called. This is clearly NOT friendly to setting up these internal links. When I enter "#whatever" in the URL field (the right place for it) it is changed to some kind of garble that will not work, as there is no link anchor in the document that it can match to.

I'm feeling defeated by this, and it's critical, as I must use OO for this HTML editing task. Not being able to do this internal link stuff is a showstopper.

Please tell me I'm doing something stupid or missing something obvious...!

Thanks in advance.
tomcloyd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: internal hyperlinks - a documentation problem only Reply with quote

OK, following up from my previous post, it IS possible to easily set up internal links. The problem is that there's no documentation, so either one figures it out, or gets to slam into the wall a few dozen times. I now see how to do it:

* Ignore the hyperlink bar. It's apparently non-functional.
* Type the text for your link, then select it (or it can be input in the hyperlink dialog).
* Open the Hyperlink dialog ([Alt + "Insert > hyperlnk" in Win32)
* In that dialog, ignore the path field. Insert the link target by typing it OR by clicking the little target button. (Do NOT insert text AND click the target. It reliably crashes the whole show).
* Make sure the "text" is the link text you want.
* "Apply" & "Close"

You're set!

This actually works well, IF you can figure it out.

I'd sure like to see a keyboard shortcut for the close button though, so I didn't have to tab over to it or reach for the mouse. Mayber next version...
robina
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donīt know if I have misunderstood, but I set internal hyperlinks in Writer easily. I just insert a bookmark at the target point ("A"), then I write he hyperlink text ("Go to A"), select it and Insert > Hyperlink > Document > Target in document icon > Target in Document window opens > Bookmarks, select the bookmark > Apply > Close > Apply > Close. Same in an HTML document.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: