OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Bibliography tool ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter_usa
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Bibliography tool ? Reply with quote

All,

i have seen many forum posts and talks regarding Bibus (seems everybody interested in), I am new to OOo and since I started to use OOo Writer I am storing bibliography entries in Writer's Bibliography database. Questions:
Why Bibus instead of Writer's Bibliography, any limitation with Writer's Bibliography ?
What should I prefer ?
I need to have a quite big database of my technical articles. I wouldn't like to run into the troubles with any biblio tool.
Any idea what biblio tool should I use with OOo writer ?

Regards,
Peter
yuki
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik, Bibus is your only choice at the moment if you want on the fly referencing. The built in functions are limited and not flexible.
doracalva
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example you can't have the title field of a reference in italiacs without formatting it manually.
ks
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the OO build in biblio interface is almost unusable. Bibus GUI is a beauty and can handle 10000's of references! Not to mention searching, import of existing refs and more...

klaus
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bibliography tool ? Reply with quote

peter_usa wrote:
All,

i have seen many forum posts and talks regarding Bibus (seems everybody interested in), I am new to OOo and since I started to use OOo Writer I am storing bibliography entries in Writer's Bibliography database. Questions:
Why Bibus instead of Writer's Bibliography, any limitation with Writer's Bibliography ?

Bibus is actually a bibliographic package. It lacks some of the bells and whistles of some of the major commerical products such as Biblioscapre or Endnote but it is a quite intelligent bibliographic package. It supplies true write and cite capacity for OpenOffice. Ti supports multiple formatting templates so that an author can with the click of the mouse change from MLA to Vancover or APA style, and it is capable of handling citations with multiple authors if you use (Author, Date) format.

It can import references in standard Bibliographic format, allowing you to get references from other databases or from jounals etc on the internet. It can export references in four common bibiographic formats allowing you to share references.

Writer's Bibliographic component is as far as I can see is not much more than a place to store the reference material. It does not supply templates for formatting. As far as I have been able to figure out, you must set up a new format each time you want to create a reference list (even in the same document so you cannot even do an update as far as I can tell) It cannot handle complicated (Multiple Author, Date) citations and so on.

Bibus allows you to see the references displayed in a meaningful way that makes sense to you, supports some good searching facilities that are easy to use and has a good way to create easily used groups of references thematically or,sa, by the paper you are writing. I believe you can do this with the Writer component too using the filter command but I doubt is as user-friendly.

Bibus is not perfect and there are a couple of real annoyances (like most software) but it is a pretty good package.

My personal opinion is that the Writer component is an almost total waste of time. It is a data base with a couple of tricks and that is about it. It's write and cite capacity, while more or less there, is very hard to use in comparision to the Bibus equivelent, and, to be honest, the lack of formatting templates, and total inflexibility with (Author, Date) usage makes it a complete non-starter in my opinion.

Quote:
What should I prefer ?

Bibus. Writer' Bibliographic component is not worth using IMO.

Quote:
I need to have a quite big database of my technical articles. I wouldn't like to run into the troubles with any biblio tool.

None are guaranted but Bibus offers pretty good funtionality, allows you to export the entries in a format that is immediately readable by other major bibliographic packages and offers highly customizable formatting options. Writer's component offers none of this.

Any idea what biblio tool should I use with OOo writer ?
Regards,
Peter[/quote]
Bibus, since is seems to be the only one that integrates smoothly with OOo.
Stay away from the OOo Bibliographic component until it is a real bibliographic package and not a tarted up flat-file database.

A possible alternative is Endnote. It does not integrate as well with OOo but via an RTF work around it will work quite well with OOo and, even at that it seemss eaier to use in a quasi-Write and Cite format than is the OOo component.

In terms of basic security of the references both OOo and Bibus keep them in a data base and one can always extract the entries from the database. There is no problem with proprietary formats etc with either one. I don'k now about Endnote.
peter_usa
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all,

I've already downloaded all necessary files to install Bibus . A bit confused about Bibus installation I've read some posts, it seems very tricky to install it. Anyway, I am going to get it up-and-running, so help me God. Rolling Eyes
Again guys thanks for your inputs ! Wink
Regards,
Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: