OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

New on Calc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlos FireFox
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: New on Calc Reply with quote

Ok im new on Ooo (Sorry for my bad english)
Im tempted to migrate my business from MS Office to Ooo.

So i have some questions.

1.- I heavily depends on Excel and all its functions (Pivot Tables, complex formulas, etc etc) (except Macros) Shall i will have problems using Calc ?

2.- What functions does word have, that arent included in Calc and viceversa, what are the pros of having Calc versus Excel (not the obvious one.. Calc is FREE) Wink

And finally, does anyone knows the release date for the 3.0 version ?

Thank you
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo has a superior handling of userdefined styles, consistant in all applications. For example, a formula of a spreadsheet-cell can calculate, which userdefined style has to be used (function STYLE()). You can even define hierarchic styles-trees. The tool is called "Stylist" (key F11).
Calc has some disadvantages if you are a heavy user of array-formulas (matrices). {=ROW(A1:F100)} always returns a single "1" (the row-index of the first cell). I can not say much about Writer. Without high ambitions, I use the same three simple templates happily. The drawing-application is a wonderful tool, when you learn a little bit.
Other week points of calc are charts and data-pilots(pivot-tables). You can not use calculated fields in data-pilots. But you can create calculated fields in the source-table and include them in the data-pilot. You find many issues about charting in this forum, including some workarounds.

Last edited by Villeroy on Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
richhill
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo recently released 2.0 which improved the DataPIlot (Pivot Table) functionality more in line with Excel capabilities.

Like Villeroy said ... array formulae is a bit of hit or miss

Charting is a sad story - but the future is bright.

At least until Excel 12 Crying or Very sad
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New on Calc Reply with quote

Carlos FireFox wrote:
1.- I heavily depends on Excel and all its functions (Pivot Tables, complex formulas, etc etc) (except Macros) Shall i will have problems using Calc

I suggest actually trying a sample of your documents in OpenOffice.org because, as you said, it is free. You have nothing to lose through a little testing. Start by verifying that your most dependent cells are calculated correctly. Check the PivotTables. Look for formula errors (such as #REF). This process should quickly answer your question #1.

Quote:
2.- What functions does word have, that arent included in Calc and viceversa, what are the pros of having Calc versus Excel (not the obvious one.. Calc is FREE) Wink

For very large spreadsheets, Excel is faster, but on my Opteron 252 CPU the difference is small. As Rich mentioned, Calc charting is poor, but that should improve in OOo version 3. Otherwise, I notice little functional difference between Excel and Calc.

Quote:
And finally, does anyone knows the release date for the 3.0 version ?

As far as I can tell, no date has been set. Since 2.0.0 was just released, I guess 1 to 2 years for version 3.
Carlos FireFox
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advices, i will give OOo a try.

God Bless...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: