OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Novell Linux Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stealth
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Novell Linux Question Reply with quote

What is the difference between Novell Linux Desktop 9 and SUSE Linux 10?

I am getting it to run my small (just me) accounting, tax and consulting business. Which
is the better of the two for that purpose?

Any chance that I can run Windows Tax Preparation Software under an emulator for Linux?

Incidently, I have had it with Microsoft. I just found out all the details about their current licensing schemes with the Product Activation Codes. Only four installs even if their buggy software causes you to reload the OS and you have to repurchase the software all over again. Microsoft is a threat to my business. I need to go open source all the way.
duff
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think support and cost - NLD costs more but you get better support from Novell. Suse 10 can be downloaded freely. I'm not sure about official support options but the "community" is free.

I use Suse 10 here at home... it's been a joy so far and I'd recommend it.

Cheers

Duff
9point9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NLD does now have the ridiculous policy of going for Gnome and no KDE. This is at odds with SUSE's tradition of having a KDE desktop. It seems to have been as some decision to court North American corporations who according to some piece of research happen to like Gnome. Can't see why.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: NLD 9 vs SuSe 10 Reply with quote

I have used both, SuSe 10 is my preferred distro now, it is more up to date than NLD 9, if you purchase the boxed version of SuSe 10 you get support etc.
I assume Novell will, or has already made OpenOffice 2 available for NLD 9 users.
It appears Novell will be changing over to Gnome from now on, SuSe and NLD will use Gnome as the default desktop. I assume KDE will still be supported though.
9point9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NLD 9 vs SuSe 10 Reply with quote

1212 wrote:
I assume KDE will still be supported though.

Most of what I've seen suggests that KDE will still be there in SUSE but will not be given as much focus. This really could turn away many traditional SUSE users.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
DaveD
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: NLD 9 vs SuSe 10 Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
What is the difference between Novell Linux Desktop 9 and SUSE Linux 10?

NLD9 is more for enterprises, IMO, and is therefore expected to be easier to manage from and enterprise prespective and more reliable applications.

SL10 is more bleeding edge and has the latest releases of applications. I most definitely prefer SL10. I do find it quite stable as well, with lots of excellent community support.

I suppose maybe the question you should be asking yourself is whether you want to spend money on it or not.

9point9 wrote:
Most of what I've seen suggests that KDE will still be there in SUSE but will not be given as much focus. This really could turn away many traditional SUSE users.

I agree with you 100%. If KDE doesn't get the same "focus" then it may not stay as polished as their Gnome desktop, which would be a similar situation with Fedora. I would prefer it to remain KDE-centric. I will be following the news articles on this because I am somewhat concerned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: