OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Using Form Wizard Crash Crash Crash
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linds
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Using Form Wizard Crash Crash Crash Reply with quote

I have been trying to set up a form with the form wizard and have not been able to finish the wizard. When I try to press finish it doesn't respond and than eventually it crashes. The sad thing is I can see the form being made while I make my selections but I can't get to it.

I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem but I linked this database up to a Microsoft Access database.
Linds
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked a little more at the problem,

I started a brand new ooo datebase. I added a very small table with about 4 fields and than I tried to create a form from that and it worked fine.

So then I went back into my OOO database that is linked to my Microsoft Access database, and created a query that would be native to the OOO format. I than attempted to create a form off of that query and the exact same thing happened. Everything looked fine until I pushed finish it didn't respond and than I pushed it again a few minutes later and wham. Every thing crashed?
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linds,

which version of OO.o are you using? 2.0.0 had a problem with formatted controls and null values - 2.0.1 seems to have cleaned that up. But this was with embedded db's, can't say it is the same for MS Jet data.

Also, are you connecting via ODBC or ADO?

Drew
BookLady
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linds try adding one entry to the original tables before attempting to make forms.
Linds
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the responses, I was away for vaction but NOW Sad I am back at it.

I had 2.0.0 installed. I downloaded 2.0.1 and installed it as though it was a new download. I assumed it would overwrite 2.0 and I am not sure if it did because when I went into help/about it still said 2.0 I guess maybe that is because it only shows 2 digits?

Anyways, I tried adding an entry and I find that I cannont, I receive the following error

Error while connecting to the data source

Error inserting new record

I don't understand why it couldn't connect to my Access Database as they are both on my computer, No Network involved.

Drew you asked if I am connecting via ODBC or ADO. I connect with the Microsoft Access. It is one of the options given by OOO.

Should I have selected ODBC or ADO? It seems Microsoft access was the more logical choice but I will try the other two.

thanks for the help so far!
Linds
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I kept on messing around with this problem.

I opened up my linked OOO database and instead of making the change in the table I have been having troulbe with I made a change in a table that has only one field.

It worked without a problem. Not connection error nothing.

Is there a limit to how many fields can be in a linked table?
BookLady
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linds as soon as you find out let us know Smile

You might try breaking your original table into smaller bits and see how big OOo can digest.

Ohh it worked with a different table. Perhaps there is an integrity problem in the original table. Especially with the primary key. OOo did not recognize the primary key that Access set up for some of the tables I tried it on. I gave up and am waiting for someone else to solve this one.
Linds
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not I used Microsoft Acces as my linked database type or if I used ODBC or ADO it didn't seem to help or hinder.
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linds wrote:
Well I kept on messing around with this problem.

I opened up my linked OOO database and instead of making the change in the table I have been having troulbe with I made a change in a table that has only one field.

It worked without a problem. Not connection error nothing.

Is there a limit to how many fields can be in a linked table?

No limit on number of fiels that I know of. In this mode, connection to another dataengine it should honer the the constrants of that engine.

Is the form using a sub form? There was an issue with that in 2.0.0 when the master table had a null value for an autogenerated pk key column. I din't know it would happen in MS Access, and still don't I suppose, but maybe.
booned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Form Wizard Crash Crash Crash Reply with quote

Linds wrote:
I have been trying to set up a form with the form wizard and have not been able to finish the wizard. When I try to press finish it doesn't respond and than eventually it crashes. The sad thing is I can see the form being made while I make my selections but I can't get to it.

We are experiencing the exact same problem with a MySQL database on localhost. OOo 2.0.1, Windows XP, with the most recent stable MySQL JDBC connector at the time of this post (3.1.12). Tiny tables, with maybe 2 or 3 columns, are fine, but the wizard crashes when trying to finish the wizard on a table of, say, 8 columns.

In Arrangement of the Main Form, if table arrangement is selected the wizard can finish successfully, but chosing the fieldname/input arrangements all crash. No subforms are present, and we've tried several tables all around the same size, none have succeeded.
Alex Thurgood
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Using Form Wizard Crash Crash Crash Reply with quote

booned wrote:

We are experiencing the exact same problem with a MySQL database on localhost. OOo 2.0.1, Windows XP, with the most recent stable MySQL JDBC connector at the time of this post (3.1.12). Tiny tables, with maybe 2 or 3 columns, are fine, but the wizard crashes when trying to finish the wizard on a table of, say, 8 columns.

Which fields are causing the problem ? There have been past known issues with the Form generator when too many fields were trying to be assessed by the wizard, but these were slated as fixed in 2.0.1.

booned wrote:

In Arrangement of the Main Form, if table arrangement is selected the wizard can finish successfully, but chosing the fieldname/input arrangements all crash. No subforms are present, and we've tried several tables all around the same size, none have succeeded.

This is interesting, I'll have to try this out on a test form with my mysql db to try and confirm.

Well I've just tried and the wizard does die, but in my case it gets as far as the "Create" step. Click on Create once, the button stays pressed for a while and nothing happens. Click on create twice, the form (that is visible behind the wizard dialog) gets corrupted. Click on Create a third time, OOo crashes and the Crash Reporter is started. The document is recovered, but only to the extent that the background colour of the form is present, no fields are visible.

Time to visit IssueTracker methinks Wink

Alex
Alex Thurgood
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Using Form Wizard Crash Crash Crash Reply with quote

Alex Thurgood wrote:

Time to visit IssueTracker methinks Wink

Alex

Well I went, opened an issue, and then was informed that it was a duplicate of a separate issues concerning the Java Uno bridge that affected Writer, and is slated as fixed in a future version. So things can only get better Wink

Alex
idyas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Using Form Wizard Crash Crash Crash Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with oo2.0.0 using forms on mysql database connected thru odbc. The problem went away when I deleted a field defined as datetime in mysql.
b0b15950
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Is Base still a runner in OOo? Reply with quote

Hi, I've been contributing to Base issues and have built a Base db application. However it is unusable because of frequent crashing. My issues are no longer being taken forward so I am reluctant to post more. I do. however send crash reports through the 'auto recovery on re start' to Sun Microsystems. Sun never respond.

Can somebody please tell me, is Base now dead? Sun don't use the HSQL default engine, HQSLDB are underfunded and calling for donations (I have). The databse application is a key component to a professional office suite and currently makes OOo look very weak. I hasten to add that I am using Writer, Calc and Draw which are stable enough for 'not too complex' tasks.

Has somebody out there with a fuller perspective any insight into the future of Base? Also if you were trying to set up a db application in OOo how would you do it to ensure stability?

Best regards
Bob
Alex Thurgood
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is Base still a runner in OOo? Reply with quote

b0b15950 wrote:
Hi, I've been contributing to Base issues and have built a Base db application. However it is unusable because of frequent crashing.

Yes, this is unfortunately quite a common occurrence Sad

b0b15950 wrote:

My issues are no longer being taken forward so I am reluctant to post more.

Well, you should still continue to do so, just to keep the developers on their toes Wink
Seriously, the Base module team of developers is severely understaffed. Why this is so for such an important module is beyond me, but there you go, that choice was made by Sun when it assigned OOo Base development

b0b15950 wrote:

I do. however send crash reports through the 'auto recovery on re start' to Sun Microsystems. Sun never respond.

This is normal, Sun never responds to this kind of e-mail at least not in person, but the bugs fo into the database nonetheless.

b0b15950 wrote:

if you were trying to set up a db application in OOo how would you do it to ensure stability?

Avoid Java ? Wink
One of the problems as I see it with the current implementation is its dependency on Java, and the fact that everything is stored in memory while you're working on the db. So, if stream writing to file fails for whatever reason (memory usage too high, page faulting, UNO bridge defects, incorrect garbage collection, blocking threads, etc), then your ODB file is going to end up corrupt. Personally, the ODB document storage format is too unstable at the moment for me to consider it as a worthwhile alternative to what I've already got, i.e. Writer documents that are forms that connect to a separate database (mysql, as it happens). At least that way, you can limit the damage if anything crashes, since Base rarely if ever, corrupts external db data.

That said, I really like the idea of an embedded db document format, but it really does need to become a bigger development priority for the OOoCommunity for it to be taken as a serious competitor to Access or Lotus Approach, or FMPro. If this is not possible, then Base will be even more laughable than some of the early versions of Access. Who knows, maybe some generous philanthropist will contribute money or ressources to make it the best thing sinced sliced bread Wink

Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: