OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Which OOs 2.0 packages do I need for Fedore core 4?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhimbo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Which OOs 2.0 packages do I need for Fedore core 4? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm trying to install OpenOffice .20 on Fedora Core 4.

I am looking at the RPMs that are part of the
OOo_2.0.0_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz file I downloaded from the
OpenOffice.org web site. Could anyone kindly tell me which of the RPMs (listed below) in the ./RPMs directory I need.

More specifically, should I only install those that have "core04" or "core04u" in their name? Are the others -- for example "core01", "core02" etc only for Fedora core 2, etc?

Or, does the use of "core" in these RPMs refer to OOo core packages (and have no relation to the corresponding Fedora or RedHat "core" releases?

I have the following RPM files in the ../RPMs directory after expanding the .tar.gz file:
openoffice.org-core01-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core02-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core03-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core03u-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core04-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core04u-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core05-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core05u-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core06-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core07-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core08-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core09-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm
openoffice.org-core10-2.0.0-3.i586.rpm

Many thanks....
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless things have changed recently you should probably first install the RedHat Menus file in the desktop-integration folder:

# cd <extracted tar.gz folder>/RPMS/desktop-integration
# rpm -Uvh openoffice.org-redhat-menus-2.0.x-x.noarch.rpm

and then install all the other files:

# cd <extracted tar.gz folder>/RPMS
# rpm -Uvh *.rpm

Last edited by Robert Tucker on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install all the core packages. The "core" refers to OpenOffice.org and not Fedora. (I wish I could see Fedora Core 10!)

Also, if you use an update system (like yum), be sure that it does not upgrade the official packages and replace them with the Fedora version of OpenOffice.org. The reason is that Fedora's OpenOffice.org is compiled with GCC 4 causing OpenOffice.org to crash often. This problem has existed in Fedora since OpenOffice.org 2.0.0 only. If you use automatic updates with yum, you can specify an "exclude statement" in /etc/yum.comf (or /etc/yum/yum.conf, I forget).
bryancole
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora Core 4 includes OpenOffice.org-2.0.1 in the latest updates of the distribution. There is no real need to install the packages from the OOo download site. Just run "yum update" as root to get the latest updates.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend that no one install Fedora Core 4's OpenOffice.org version 2.0.0 or 2.0.1, so do not use the OpenOffice.org available from yum! Currently both are plagued with horrible, random crashing bugs. You are likely to lose your work at any time, and the crash recovery tool may not recover your unsaved work.

I know because I use Fedora Core 4 and I watch the Red Hat and OpenOffice.org bug trackers. Also, I am an OpenOffice.org QA volunteer.

Please: If you use OpenOffice.org on Fedora Core 4, use the official RPMs.
9point9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahz wrote:
Please: If you use OpenOffice.org on Fedora Core 4, use the official RPMs.

I concur. Further more, use the official packages on any system where it is possible. Distros have a habit of breaking things that work perfectly well.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, I found the bug report in Red Hat's Bugzilla:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=171873

If for some reason you want Fedora's OpenOffice.org, perhaps you should watch this web page to see if things improve, but for now, notice:
- Ninety comments is VERY high and comments are from a variety of different people. These facts imply many people suffer.
- There are many people watching on the CC list (you have to log in to see).
- The date of the GCC fix seems to be later than the release of OpenOffice.org 2.0.1 implying that the 2.0.1 does not have the fix.
- The referenced GCC bug is "resolved" but not yet "closed."
- User comments indicate that the 2.0.1 "fix" still crashes.

Most of the time, I really like Fedora, but there are a few bugs like this one that really bug me.
bryancole
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cause of the bugs in the Fedora Core 4 version of openoffice.org-2 is not so much OOo itself, but the fact that it's configured for gnu gcj java by default. If you disable java, the crashes go away. You can install Sun or IBM java just like you would with the OO.org version, so there's really no difference between the FC packages and the OO.org ones (besides this).

Note, if you are using the FC4-OOo-2.0.0 version, you need to change an xml configuration file to allow it to register no-gnu JREs. This has been fixed in the 2.0.1 version and the Sun JRE can be selected with no problems.

If you don't use the FC4 packages, you may no get optimum integration of things like menu items, mime-types etc with the rest of the system (I did try the OO.org packages and I couldn't get the OOo menu icons to work, even with the desktop-integration packages installed).
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryancole wrote:
You can install Sun or IBM java just like you would with the OO.org version, so there's really no difference between the FC packages and the OO.org ones (besides this).

The big difference is that all of Fedora's software (including OpenOffice.org) is compiled with GCC 4.0 while the official OOo is compiled with GCC 2 or 3. The crash is caused by an optimization bug in GCC itself which affects the whole OpenOffice.org program, so I am very skeptical to think changing Java will make any difference.

Quote:
If you don't use the FC4 packages, you may no get optimum integration of things like menu items, mime-types etc with the rest of the system (I did try the OO.org packages and I couldn't get the OOo menu icons to work, even with the desktop-integration packages installed).

My menu icons were missing in OOo 2.0.0 with Gnome but they work nicely in 2.0.1. Also, I notice no other integration problems.
rhimbo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Did it install correctly? Reply with quote

Hello again everyone,

Sorry for the continuing naive newbie questions. Many thanks for all the responses and advice. Not sure if all went well, but here's what happened:

I first installed all the packages in ../OOO680_m3_native_packed-2_en-US.8968/RPMS directory where I unpacked the .tar.gz file. I did try to install the openoffice.org-redhat-menus-2.0.0-3.noarch.rpm package first but it complained about dependencies (needed the ones in ../RPMS first). So I installed *.rpm from ../RPMs.

I then installed the ../RPMs/desktop-integration/openoffice.org-redhat-menus-2.0.0-3.noarch.rpm package. All seemed to go well (no error messages). After installation I saw a new menu item on my desktop: Applications-->Office--> OpenOffice.org 2.0 Printer Administration

But I don't see any menu item for OpenOffice. I rebooted. Still no menu item. I tried looking around /usr/local, /usr/share, etc. for anything like o* OOo*, open*... didn't find anything.

I just repeated the installation to ensure everything really was installed correctly. Here is the output.
# rpm -Uvh *.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
package openoffice.org-core08-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core07-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core06-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core05-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core04-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core03-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core01-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core02-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core03u-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core04u-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core05u-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core09-2.0.0-3 is already installed
package openoffice.org-core10-2.0.0-3 is already installed
# cd desktop-integration/
#
# rpm -Uvh openoffice.org-redhat-menus-2.0.0-3.noarch.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
package openoffice.org-redhat-menus-2.0.0-3 is already installed
#

So, must I go through a printer config step before the OpenOffice suite is available to me? I don't believe so, but I can't find the apps anywhere. I don't have a printer I can install.

Many thanks again...
9point9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Did it install correctly? Reply with quote

rhimbo wrote:
So, must I go through a printer config step before the OpenOffice suite is available to me?

You shouldn't have to. Confused

Can you run 'soffice' from a terminal? If you can then it should have worked OK. You can user -writer, -calc etc. switches to start specific components.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Red Hat integration should
1) Give you menus in Gnome and KDE under Office Applications
2) Let you run "openoffice.org-2.0" from command line (and elsewhere)

The file "/usr/bin/openoffice.org-2.0" is a link to "/opt/openoffice.org-2.0/program/soffice" (or something like that).
rhimbo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Success installing OpenOffice 2.0 on Fedore Core 4 Reply with quote

Hello all once more,

OK, here is what happened. I uninstalled all the rpms for OOo. I then reinstalled them using the same steps in my last post.

Now I can run soffice from the command line. But I still don't see any menu item under the "Applications" menu on the panel. I can live with this, but I just can't explain the behavior to you!

Here is the location of the installation:

$ ls -l `which soffice`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Dec 19 18:02 /usr/bin/soffice -> /etc/openoffice.org-2.0/program/soffice
$ ls -l /etc/openoffice.org-2.0/program/soffice
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 6485 Oct 15 07:02 /etc/openoffice.org-2.0/program/soffice
$

Just to recap... I had to install the "core" rpms first (all of them in the ../OOO680_m3_native_packed-2_en-US.8968/RPMS directory). Then I installed the rpm ../RPMS/desktop-integration/openoffice.org-redhat-menus-2.0.0-3.noarch.rpm.

Many thanks for all the responses. This is my first experience with RedHat/Fedora. Sorry for the novice questions.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Success installing OpenOffice 2.0 on Fedore Core 4 Reply with quote

rhimbo wrote:

But I still don't see any menu item under the "Applications" menu on the panel. I can live with this, but I just can't explain the behavior to you!

To be clear, it shouldn't be directly under Applications. The OpenOffice.org menus items are under Applications, then under Office.

Also, I assume you are running the standard GNOME that comes with Fedora Core 4?

Also, to make sure your integration package is installed, you can run this:

Code:
rpm -qa | grep -i openoffice
rhimbo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Corrections... Reply with quote

Yes, my mistake. I am looking under Applications-->Office. Still no OpenOffice. I only see the "OpenOffice.org 2.0 Printer Administration" under the Applications-->Office menu.

Also, I think I spoke too quickly in my last post. Although I can get OpenOffice up, I can't seem to open any documents (I only have .doc documents to try currently). The main window comes up (with the File, Edit, View, Tools, Window and Help menus).
Selecting File-->Open... brings up a file dialog. Selecting a file and then "Open" button brings up athe "Filter Selection" dialog shown below (assuming I inserted the image correctly -- not appearing in the preview):

I don't see any suitable choices. From the main OOo app window I can access the Tools-->Customize... and Tools-->Options... menus but I haven't been able to figure out any configuration setting that appears to be relevant.

There's no installer on Linux now as on Windows by which one can specify during installation that one intends to manipulate Word, PowerPoint and Excel files. Not even sure if this is the problem or if it's something else.
[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: