OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOo 2.0.1 and Win98 problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: OOo 2.0.1 and Win98 problems Reply with quote

When I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.0.1 using Win 98 SE, and I ran soffice.exe, the topmost menu (File/Edit/..../Help) was not there. I even tried opening a few .odt documents, and while they opened, that top set was not there.

I then tried to repair the installation using the 78 MB file I just downloaded, and it did not give me a repair option as in times past, and it kept telling me that I needed something called openoffice20.msi -- I had that file (it created it in an installation folder), and I pointed it to it, and yet it thinks it's not a valid file.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 2.0.1 and Win98 problems Reply with quote

adb wrote:
it kept telling me that I needed something called openoffice20.msi -- I had that file (it created it in an installation folder), and I pointed it to it, and yet it thinks it's not a valid file.

Could you post the exact error message verbatim?

If all else fails, I would try
1. Uninstall
2. Delete c:\program files\openoffice*
3. Install
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running Setup.exe found in the same installation folder where you found OpenOffice20.msi. You can also get the Repair option at Control Panel > Add/Remove Software.
adb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: exact error message Reply with quote

Error 1714. The older version of OpenOffice.org 2.0 cannot be removed.

I also tried running setup.exe found in the same new installation menu that was created, but it yielded the same result.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is a Microsoft Windows Installer error, so there are many resources on the web if you search for the error message. Try these links first:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=26581
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?fdoc=wplcnote&rs=475&uid=swg21165600
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=52426

Let us know how that works.
adb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: the other error message Reply with quote

When I try to point to the proper .msi file, this dialog box appears:

The file C:\windows\desktop\OpenOffice.org 2.0 Installation Files\openofficeorg20.msi is not a valid installation package for the product OpenOffice.org 2.0. Try to find openofficeorg20.msi in a folder from which you can install OpenOffice.org 2.0
adb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: it worked Reply with quote

The Windows Installer clean-up utility worked. I deleted anything OpenOffice.org (1.9.79 and then 2.0), and then tried the usual install routine, and it worked, and OOo 2.0.1 is now back in perfect working order. That was a close one....if this would have dragged on any further, I would have had to wipe the e-dust off of Microsoft Word and Excel 2000 and then grin and bear it Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: