OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Mail merge - how to drag fields from spreadsheet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlindau
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Mail merge - how to drag fields from spreadsheet? Reply with quote

I'm attempting to add various cells from an OO 2.01 Calc spreadsheet to a mail merge document - the address block in one place, and various other cells (from the same record / row) scattered about in other places.

I see JohnV's response to what appears a similar query...

[quote]

...While writing the letter press F4, open your db table, then drag and drop the field names into the letter where you want them.

When you do Mail Merge you can just go directly from item 1 to item 8 (skipping the Address business) and save all merged letters to a single file which you can edit further if you like....

[/quote]

My question - Since I'm using a spreadsheet (and not a db table) as the source of my address and other information, can I do something similar? I don't see a mechanism for dragging my field names (first row of the spreadsheet) onto my letter.

Thanks!
rlindau
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: ...Found "how to" doc Reply with quote

Subsequently to posting my question above, I did find the following "how to" on using a CALC spreadsheet as a source for mail merge - I'll give it a try

http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/word_processing/writer2_EN.html
jeanweber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This chapter from the Writer Guide might help too:
Using Mail Merge,
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0211WG-UsingMailMerge.pdf

The new Mail Merge wizard in OOo 2.0+ makes this all very easy, though you can still do it without using the wizard.
howard
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "HOW TO" you refer to is for the older 1.1.x versions.

I stumbled on a solution to this in OOo2.0 by trial and error. In writer go Edit>Exchange databases and you will get a dialogue box indicating which databases are linked. Then select "browse" and find your spreadsheet, select it and it's linked in, then F4 will enable you to bring up the table you want. You can drag the column titles into your document from there. Selecting a row and clicking on the "Data to Fields" icon will put the entries in the right place - or if you try to print, it spots that you have fields and asks you if you want to do a mail merge.

I've just checked most of this on the beta 1.9.??? version on my Linux box, and earlier I used it to print all my Christmas envelopes on 2.0.1 on an XP.

As far as I can see this method does not link to the actual spreadsheet, but creates a new database from it and links to that - so you have to delete the link and reconnect if you edit the spreadsheet. (In XP these new odb files appeared by default in "My Documents", not sure where the Linux version puts them.) Trying to link it in directly from the dialogue you get from "Administrate databases" (horrible English!) only allows existing .obd files, the Exchange databases route creates one!

This is a bit sketchy I know, I've assumed that you have some idea how this all works. Hope it helps.
davidlandin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: removing "Available Databases" from Exchange datab Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to remove existing (no longer needed) available databases from the Exchange database list??

David Landin
howard
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

You have to go Tools>options>OOo Base>Databases to de-register a link. You can register here too, but only genuine databases, not spreadsheets.

I was wrong in some of my interpretations above. The new .odb file created is not an independent full file, but a filter that points to the spreadsheet so that it appears like a database. You can change data in the spreadsheet - but I think it's a good idea to close it before you try to access it again.
davidlandin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Howard - it worked! I had no idea where to look to remove these links. So I appreciate your lightning fast help!

David Landin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: