OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Removing highlighting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Removing highlighting Reply with quote

I am using OOo Writer 2.0.1. I want to remove highlighting from text which I have selected. The highlighting icon on the formatting toolbar shows "no fill", but when I click the icon, the last used highlighting color is applied, not "no fill". I have to open the drop-down box and select "no fill" in order to remove highlighting. Is this a bug?

Bill
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Removing highlighting Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
I am using OOo Writer 2.0.1. I want to remove highlighting from text which I have selected. The highlighting icon on the formatting toolbar shows "no fill", but when I click the icon, the last used highlighting color is applied, not "no fill". I have to open the drop-down box and select "no fill" in order to remove highlighting. Is this a bug?

Bill

I don't think so. If you look at the icon there is a bar under the image that changes to the colour that is being used to hightlight. You have to explicitly turn it off.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use Control Shift Space to remove all formatting from the highlighted text, and return it to the font for the current paragraph style.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you tend to forget such things (Ctrl Shift Space) it's the shortcut for Format > Default.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Removing highlighting Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
BillP wrote:

Bill

I don't think so. If you look at the icon there is a bar under the image that changes to the colour that is being used to hightlight. You have to explicitly turn it off.

Shouldn't the highlight color be turned off when I select "no fill" from the drop-down box? The icon then shows the outline of a rectangle with no color, but subsequent clicks on the icon do not remove highlighting, they only change the highlight color (the new color is not shown on the icon, either before or after the color is changed). This happens on both Windows Me and Windows XP, SP2.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing highlighting Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
Shouldn't the highlight color be turned off when I select "no fill" from the drop-down box?.

Yes it should. It works with font colour, but not with highlighting.

If you think it is important, vote for this issue. It seems pretty trivial to me since one only needs two clicks instead of one.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing highlighting Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:
BillP wrote:

Bill

Shouldn't the highlight color be turned off when I select "no fill" from the drop-down box? The icon then shows the outline of a rectangle with no color, but subsequent clicks on the icon do not remove highlighting, they only change the highlight color (the new color is not shown on the icon, either before or after the color is changed). This happens on both Windows Me and Windows XP, SP2.

I cannot get duplicate the cycling though colours. However I get the impression that removing the highlighting is meant to be a deliberate move and thus requires you to select the text and click on the no fill option. Whether or not this is optional is another matter. :0

Probably a more logical way to do highlighting in OOo is to set up a couple of styles with the background colours that you want and apply the colour with the Stylest.

If you get used to using Styles in OOo most (or all?) of the buttons in the formatting menu become redundent. In fact their use can be a hinderence.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing highlighting Reply with quote

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
BillP wrote:
Shouldn't the highlight color be turned off when I select "no fill" from the drop-down box?.

Yes it should. It works with font colour, but not with highlighting.

If you think it is important, vote for this issue. It seems pretty trivial to me since one only needs two clicks instead of one.

Issue 5416 is an enhancement which I would not use. It is not the same as the problem I have described.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: