OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can I label points in an XY scatter plot? [RESOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bps7j

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Can I label points in an XY scatter plot? [RESOLVED] Reply with quote

suppose I have the following data:

Code:
label   x   y
tree   8   12
pond   2   81
house   82   3
sandbox   50   50
beehives   23   58

I want to make a "map" of this with an XY scatter plot. I want the word "tree" to show up next to the point at (8,12) and so on.

When I go through the AutoPilot it seems I can select a series of data for the labels by saying "first column as labels", but they don't show up next to the points. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by bps7j on Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Can I label points in an XY scatter plot? Reply with quote

bps7j wrote:

Code:
label   x   y
tree   8   12
pond   2   81
house   82   3
sandbox   50   50
beehives   23   58

I want to make a "map" of this with an XY scatter plot. I want the word "tree" to show up next to the point at (8,12) and so on.

When I go through the AutoPilot it seems I can select a series of data for the labels by saying "first column as labels", but they don't show up next to the points. Any help is appreciated.

Select the three columns and check First column as labels and then create the graph.
Place the cursor over the unselected graph and right click. Select Edit
Then Insert > Data Labels> and check Show Label Text.
bps7j

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Works Reply with quote

That works great, thank you.
anyamathias

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I label points in an XY scatter plot? Reply with quote

Hello, I need to post the labels on the scatter plot like the user below. Can you please explain step by step how to do this? For example, I am not sure I know what an Autopilot is and how to mark first column as labels. Basically, I need some pretty detailed directions.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Anya

jrkrideau wrote:
bps7j wrote:

Code:
label   x   y
tree   8   12
pond   2   81
house   82   3
sandbox   50   50
beehives   23   58

Select the three columns and check First column as labels and then create the graph.
joerg04
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I label points in an XY scatter plot? Reply with quote

anyamathias wrote:
Hello, I need to post the labels on the scatter plot like the user below. Can you please explain step by step how to do this? For example, I am not sure I know what an Autopilot is and how to mark first column as labels. Basically, I need some pretty detailed directions.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Anya

jrkrideau wrote:
bps7j wrote:

Code:
label   x   y
tree   8   12
pond   2   81
house   82   3
sandbox   50   50
beehives   23   58

1) assign your data similar to the example
2) mark them all (they will have a black background)
3) Then go to the menu bar and chose "Insert"->"Chart" (now opens the autopilot)
4) make sure that "First Row as Label" is checked (or something similar, my local is German)
5) push the next button and choose the chart type you need (likely xy-chart)
6) make some further adjustments (proposed by the autopilot)
7) push on Finish (now you should see the chart)
8 ) (it will be surrounded in grey, if not push with the left mouse key on the chart until it is)
9) go to the menu bar -> Insert -> Data Labels -> Check show Label

If you need nothing else you can leave editing mode of the chart by a simple click anywhere in your spreadsheet.
However, you can also try the suggestion given by the OpenOffice Help. In OpenOffice just push the "F1" function key and search for the decicive information.

RKWard: http://rkward.sourceforge.net/
sidux: http://sidux.com/index.html
Musix: http://musix.org.ar/en/index.html
Tia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: x,y data labels Reply with quote

I am trying to label my x,y coordinates in a scatter plot but I cannot find "first row as label" as it says above. I am using excel 2002. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
-Tia
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: x,y data labels Reply with quote

Tia wrote:
I am trying to label my x,y coordinates in a scatter plot but I cannot find "first row as label" as it says above. I am using excel 2002. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
-Tia

Your first problem is that you are not using OpenOffice.org's Calc spread sheet. Smile

I think you can do the same in Excel but I'm not sure how. Try creating a scatterplot, click on the graph and look for something like Chart Format or Chart Options.
Tia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: x,y data labels Reply with quote

Thanks for your help!!
-Tia
jade_face

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This procedure does indeed work, but I have noticed a strange side effect. After you save the file, close and re-open it, the labels have all changed to "Row 1", "Row 2", "Row 3", etc. instead of the actual label content. This is annoying since I have to quickly re-create the chart to reconstitute the true labels when ever I repoen the sheet. Or, perhaps I am doing something wrong? BTW, my labels are actually formulas that bring the content from another sheet, maybe that has something to do with it.
jade_face

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done a couple of additional experiments to narrow down this behavior. Turns out that it has nothing to do with whether the source data is a formula or not. But the effect does not occur when saving in .ODS format - it does occur when saving in .XLS format. Perhaps this is a missing feature in .XLS and that's why the labels disappear?
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jade_face wrote:
I've just done a couple of additional experiments to narrow down this behavior. Turns out that it has nothing to do with whether the source data is a formula or not. But the effect does not occur when saving in .ODS format - it does occur when saving in .XLS format. Perhaps this is a missing feature in .XLS and that's why the labels disappear?

I don't know. I just tried this and it looks like a real incompatibility between Calc and Excel. Excel does have the capability to add labels but in a couple of attempts I 1) imported an Excel sheet that came in with anb empt graph ( your problem?) and then imported a Calc (xls ) graph that came in as raw numbers.
Tactician
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have gotten he chart made and the labels up like the user who crated this post i would like to have the labels there, but i also would like the x,y coords after the label, upon clicking to show labes and numbers under the edit menu, it only shows the label and thex coordinate how can i make is also show the y coordinate?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: