OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Newbie Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITWater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Newbie Advice Reply with quote

Hi

Newbie here in need of some basic advice.....

I have 10 client pc's at work sharing a excel spreadsheet over a network. This spreadsheet has grown from it's infancy and is used to record drivers to trucks. At first excel was sufficient for the purpose having only one user and limited functionality. I now have a full time job administrating the sheet instead of spreading to other issues.

It's worth mentioning we have 55 trucks.

We record from left to right, Vehicle registration, base location (several), type, shift one driver and shift two driver on one line. Then the date/cell progressively along the top going to the end of the sheet, when we reach the end of the sheet I hive it off and create a new one. The cells below the date predict who will be driving the vehicle using a simple formula to reference the aforementioned shift one & two data.

On tab two, the data Vehicle registration, base location (several), type, shift one driver and shift two driver from the first tab is referenced and date along the top. The range of cells where the drivers are perdicted on the first tab is left blank. Any agreed annual leave is recorded by recording "Holiday" in the cell....e.g. Fred is driving on x day which is shown on tab one in cell AB65 but on tab two in cell AB65 "Holiday" appears as this driver is on leave on that day. Going back to the first tab, within the formula it checks tab 2 AB65 to see if Holiday exist, if it does then "Holiday" appears on tab one and is conditionally formatted bold and the cell is coloured yellow to enable the controllers to attempt to fill the vacant slot. Now, to confuse things even further, tab three is the sickness record and where a driver will be sick for say... two weeks, the formula on tab one looks for this as well, reacting by recording "Sick" in bold and colouring the cell red.

Put off by the MS licence fee for a network of this size I am keen to try something in Base but have limited database experience. Some courses in Access in my early days but haven't really probed into the subject although I have had several attempts to take the task above and convert to Access but failed misearably on every occassion!!!!

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to go about this task. If necessary I can zip the excel spreadsheet and send to anyone willing to help as reading my explanation above it all seems a bit confusing!!! Embarassed

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

The spreadsheet consists of several tabs that mimic the front tab, th
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Dimitri's OOo Base beginner tutorial and follow the links.

Read some of the references in the How to get started thread

Then work throught Drew Jensen's excellent Beginners - Example Database - Base Tutorial.

Andrew Pitonyak has also written a Base document. Follow the links in http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=115674#115674

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: