OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OOo Linux versus Windows versions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucehohl
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: OOo Linux versus Windows versions Reply with quote

I use OOo on both Linux (KDE desktop / SuSE 8.1) and Windows.

In Windows the Alt key activates the menu but in the Linux version I must hold the Alt down and press a menu item. In Windows to save a file it's Alt, F, S but in Linux it's Alt + F, S. Does anyone know if there is a way to make my Linux version behave the same way as my Windows version?

Also, in my Linux version when I get to the top or bottom of a screen with the arrow keys I jump up or down by 8 lines. In Windows I move by one line at a time (as expected). Again, does anyone know if there is a way to make my Linux version behave the same way as my Windows version?

Thanks for any help. I really like OOo and getting it to work the same on both platforms would be a plus.
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as far as I know you than will be making linux working to much like windows.

its the windows/linux key options you are dealing with.

but if there is such an option?, I don't know
but I don't need that option, because it would be turning into a windows machine, as we don't want that.

thats why we use linux
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bowties

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, uniformity in shortcut keys would be nice but you're talking about a lot of variables, e.g. gnome, kde, window managers, and of course MS windows. At least OOo looks identical on both linux and windows. What other apps give you this kind of consistency across platforms? Mozilla, yes. But that's about it.
brucehohl
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I really have no complaints with OpenOffice or Linux since that is what I use for my main home computer. I do like the consistency of OpenOffice across platforms since I can use OpenOffice on my Windows computer at work.

Note that in KWord the alt key activates the menu but in Abiword it does not. Personally I prefer that the alt key activate the menu.

Also in KWord and Abiword when at the top/bottom of the screen the up/down arrow moves by one line. OpenOffice Writer moves by 8 lines. This makes it harder to keep your place in Writer as you move through a document.

I only suggest that OpenOffice would be a better program if the user had a choice for it to work as is or like KWord for the alt and up/down arrow keys. If anyone knows how please respond.
tyFUZZ
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Welcome to the club"

'We are the Windolinuxed!' The people who came from windows, and are migrating to linux.

I'm one of them... So I fully understand your concerns. I wish Linux could in deed be very much
windows-alike... My bosses would be delighted!

But thats the price to pay for free software... (as for now, the future is yet to come)

OOo developers: 'listen' to this users needs! Wink
bartgymnast
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyFUZZ its not really a OOo issue

it is more the shortcuts in linux, so they can change it in OOo,
but that will make much more trouble with the linux interface itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: