OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

vanished graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caroline Petherick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: vanished graphic Reply with quote

Hi - until a few minutes ago I had a couple of pictures showing in the text document I was working on.

Then they vanished, and were replaced by a rectangle showing their locations, with 'graphic 1' and 'graphic 2' written inside.

I've tried reimporting the original document, and I've tried importing the original graphic - a jpeg - but it still won't show.
When I right-click on the rectangle, and pick 'picture ...' then click on the Picture tab, the picture itself is visible.

In the help index under 'graphics do not show' the answer given is to click on the graphics on/off icon.
But it doesn't say what that icon looks like or where I'm supposed to find it; I've tried all the icons I can find, and none of them is it.

I don't even know if this icon is what I want ... the pictures vanished after I'd clicked on an item in a menu - but I can't remember what that item was and I can't find it again, either.

D'oh. Any ideas?
DiGro
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline,

you switched off the view of the pictures.

The button is a purple square and blue/green triangle with a red cross on it
In version 1.1.X it is located on the toolbar left on the screen (probably last but one)

In version 2.0 it is mainly the same form (square with triangle) as the button to insert pictures in your document, however it is in greyed colors.

DiGro

Windows 7 Home Premium and AOO 4.0.1 NL (Dutch)
Caroline Petherick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: vanished graphic Reply with quote

thanks very much for the help - I've got 2.0, but I can't see anything like a square and triangle;

I'm looking at the two lines of icons that run across the top, and the nearest thing in appearance that I can see, and the only icon that appears greyed out, is what's called Frame Properties.

Maybe I need to get another line of icons showing on the screen. I've tried to do this by right clicking and middle clicking on a spare bit to the right of the lines of icons, but nothing happens.

Any ideas?
DGehman
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get to the place to turn graphics back on through the menus.

Tools > Options > [in left-hand browser pane] OpenOffice.org Writer > View

See if on the right-hand options pane, under "Display," you need to put a check mark in "Graphics and objects"
Caroline Petherick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, fixed it - we've won!! ta ever so

Laughing
Jos Smolders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: with me it does not seem to work that way. Reply with quote

I too have only the rectangle and when I rightclick I get the context menu. When I click 'image' I get a dialogue box which opens at the macro tab. It tells me there was an error loading the graphic.
I tried reinstalling OO201 but to no avail.
Jos Smolders

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what did it!
apparently I had disabled the right option in options > writer > view > display graphics and objects
lbradley1951

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Nothing that worked for all of you worked for me - graphics Reply with quote

I tried enabling graphics in the options. Did not work. Also can't find the Graphics on/off icon. If enabling the view, graphics in writer does not work and the icon can't be found, am I just out of luck?
DiGro
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Graphic on/off is not on the bar you will have to add it by customizing the toolbar.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/982822/Graphic_onoff.jpg
This is how its looks (Yes, I know, its grey)

Try Customizing the Formatting-toolbar in a new Writer-document.

Click the small arrow on the right end of the bar and select Customize toolbar.
Click Add and then in the left list look for View sleect that and then in the
right list look for Graphics on/off.

Select that icon and click Add. Close the dialogs and you will have the Graphics on/off
on the toolbar

Windows 7 Home Premium and AOO 4.0.1 NL (Dutch)
Ed11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Pictures disappeared Reply with quote

Well, on my openoffice 2.01 the same problem occurs. But there's a difference: in the panelsettings in openoffice writer the view 'pictures and objects' is switched on.

A lot of work seems now for nothing. I'm really frustrated.

I really can't think of any handling that caused this problem. Just in a moment the pictures where vanished, but strangely enough not all of them. But nearly all.

Can someone help me?

Thanks
Edwin
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could these be memory problems?

Does rebotting the computer help at all?
voger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem too. I created a graphic with Open Office Draw, paste it in the Writer and continued my work. I have opened and closed that documents several times after that point and the graphic was there. Today I went for a final review before i deliver my work and strangely enough i can see only the white rectangle with my caption in it. No graphic.

Also, i have exported the document to pdf before i notice the graphic was missing and it's not in there either.
Ed11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: vanishing pictures Reply with quote

I thinkt this is a serious bug and must be solved urgently. Is there a more direct way to communicate this with the authors of this program?

Now i have installed word, because i must finish my article.
razoruser

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also face the same problem.
I created a doc with pics using Openoffice2.0 and saved the file in openoffice1.0 format.
When I open the doc in Openoffice1.01, poof all the pics are gone & replaced by empty rectangles. Iam sure that the pictures are present in the document because the doc displays properly in Openoffice 2.0

I have checked 'Graphics and objects' in Tools->options->Text Document -> view, but still have this problem

Thanks
Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: