OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Feature suggestion section

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Feature suggestion section Reply with quote

I think there should be a feature suggestion section in this forum where OOo users could post suggestions and report problems for OpenOffice products. It should be a section which the OOo developers read regulalrly to discover new and valuable ideas.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a specially-designed system for that called the Issue Tracker at < http://qa.openoffice.org >.
gizmo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks to me like a bug tracking system. Perhaps that's why it's called "Issue Tracker"? Also, it seems rather as if that page were intended more for people working more directly on the project as a reference guide. I don't see where the ordinary user could submit a suggestion OR a bug report without a long properly formatted document, which will scare ordinary users (or even some less ordinary like myself) away.

There need to be a relatively easy method for the ordinary person to make suggestions. For example, a forum.

Moderation probe1: 2 SPAM URLs removed

Last edited by gizmo on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think you are half right on several things. While you don't need a long, specially formatted document to submit any kind of issue (plain English will do fine), the process can nevertheless be intimidating for some. On the other hand, OpenOffice.org is a huge project with scarce developer resources, so developers cannot read the forum. So, the Issue Tracker helps developers make the best use of their precious time.

To bridge the gap, you can volunteer to be an ambassador between a forum and the Issue Tracker. That's more or less what an OpenOffice.org QA Volunteer would do anyway. If that interests you, there are instructions on how to get started at the link I posted earlier.
Duster929
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with suri and gizmo.

Reading the posts through the forums, there are a lot of great ideas that don't technically fall under the category of "issue" "problem" or "bug".

And it would be impossible and unrealistic for developers to peruse the forums looking for issues to work on.

A specific section of "suggested features" would be great, that other users can then go in and rate on a 1-5 scale from "marginally worthwhile" to "extremely valuable". This would give developers at least some kind of idea of the features that users are looking for in addition to fixes and issue resolution.

I'd love to get involved and become some kind of contributor on this level, but in the "contribution" section of the site, I can't find something that really fits that description where I feel I could help out...

--- D
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duster929 wrote:
And it would be impossible and unrealistic for developers to peruse the forums looking for issues to work on.

There are already thousands of open issues to worry about.

Quote:
A specific section of "suggested features" would be great, that other users can then go in and rate on a 1-5 scale from "marginally worthwhile" to "extremely valuable". This would give developers at least some kind of idea of the features that users are looking for in addition to fixes and issue resolution.

The existing Issue Tracker does this using a voting system.
Duster929
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I didn't know you could vote on issues in the issue tracker. I'll try that out. I just submitted a couple of issues.

--- D
Duster929
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found an "enhancement" that I've been looking for in the issue tracker. I voted for it. This does, in fact, look like what we're talking about in this thread - you're absolutely right.

If it says "started" in the issue tracker, does that mean that a developer somewhere has actually started working on this issue/enhancement/feature?

--- D
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duster929 wrote:
If it says "started" in the issue tracker, does that mean that a developer somewhere has actually started working on this issue/enhancement/feature?

This explains the status:
http://qa.openoffice.org/scdocs/issue_lifecycle.html

But I don't think STARTED means you should expects results very soon. Usually, I put more faith in the "Target Milestone." Why don't you post the link to the issue, and I tell you what I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: