OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Commercial Software? I don't need this aggrevation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corfy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Commercial Software? I don't need this aggrevation Reply with quote

This isn't directly OpenOffice.org related, but I wanted to post this somewhere, and this seems like the best place.

Our company/building recently spent $14,000 on MS software, with me in charge of installing it and configuring it. I have had nothing but headache after headache after headache since Jan. 4. I have worked 7-day weeks 4 times, and spent several 12-hour days working on getting this @!$&*! software working right.

Granted, it isn't my money, but for $14,000, I would have expected a lot less headaches. I can't imagine open-source causing this many problems, and even if it did, it would take an awful lot to make up for the $14,000 AND the problems I have been having. Unfortunately, I seem to be the only person in our corporation that has any interest at all in open source. And in order to stay compatible with the other buildings in our corporation, we have to use the same software, which is MS.

Unfortunately, I still have a lot of work to do before I am done. I just hope I don't have a nervous breakdown before the project is completed.
RonIA
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe track the hassles and begin looking up the right people to bend an ear at corporate. No sense in trying to change things locally if you have to "maintain compatibility". As you know compatability even from MS Office version to another is spotty in some cases.

Good luck, it is a battle that is being won one firefight at a time.
Corfy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I said, this wasn't related to OpenOffice.org. This is more of an open-source post than an OOo post.

I have been battling MS Windows Server 2003 and MS Exchange 2003. Battling, and battling, and battling, and battling. And all the time thinking a Linux solution would be simpler and cheaper and work just as well if not better. What am I saying? Anything can work better than this.

Of course, I do have problems with MS Office (namely the fact that we have Office 97, 2000, XP, and 2003 all running in the building), but that isn't what has been causing my problems over the last few weeks. That is just a long-term irratant.

Still, for all the "Get the Facts" campaigns about how MS is cheaper in the long run, I know better from personal experience.
RealGrouchy
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psst... take the MSO software down to the pawn shop, pocket the money, and install OOo.

Then *mysteriously disappear* to a tropical island for a couple of months.

Twisted Evil

XPsp2, OOo 2.3, SeaMonkey 1.1.7, IE v.6.6.6...
Corfy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealGrouchy wrote:
psst... take the MSO software down to the pawn shop, pocket the money, and install OOo.

Most people probably won't even notice. I do have some issues with that, though.

First, I have one department that is absolutely dependant upon some third-party Word plugins. Plugins that don't work right with Word 2003, I might add. So those that do have Office 2003 installed have to have their Word downgraded to a previous version. But those same plugins don't work at all with OOo.

Second, my boss is an Excel guru. He knows more about Microsoft Excel than I know about Microsoft Office. He would definitely notice a change.

Third, most of the people in the office are against any change whatsoever, which has made my life even more difficult over the last few weeks. It is hard to change email server software and server software and move from an NT4/ActiveDirectory hybrid-based network to a pure Active Directory based network without any changes seen by the users.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: