OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Some notes of OpenOffice.org's Writer. Result of testing it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voluntary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Some notes of OpenOffice.org's Writer. Result of testing it. Reply with quote

Hello, Dear Sirs!
I would like with all my sincere heart to thank everyone taking part in creation of the OpenOffice.org office being the best present of humanity and mercy for advanced mankind, for truly free people who appreciate freedom above all.
At once I should to distress you. After loading newest OpenOffice.org 2.0.1 I noticed that it has a lot of evident defects (succeeded from previous versions of this wonderful office). What a pity! This office which have become more or less perfect is in fact something like pitiful parody even of the StarOffice (not mentioning of the Microsoft Word XP – there is no comparison between the last one and the OpenOffice.org)! Here is a list of the most obvious defects:
1. When I switch input language and entering the text in other language, the language of input text is the same that it was before the switching. For example, I input text in Russian, then switch layout to English, input text in English after that, but for some reason the Writer underlines it in red color. It proved to be input as Russian (for example, if I choose input text in English and then from the context menu, appeared by pressing right button of mouse, choose the “Symbols” item, there will be displayed “Russian” in “Language” field; and when I choose from this list “US English” and press the button “OK”, then the red marking of text in editor vanishes). Editor identifies the text correctly and it sees that there are no mistakes. The conclusion is: It should be done in such way that during the switching of keyboard's layout, the input language switches in editor automatically accordingly to current keyboard's layout; for example: If you insert block of English text in Russian text and then continue to input text in Russian, the language property of input text shouldn't be “English” like that of inserted block, but “Russian” one.
2. It is very uncomfortably in mixed text which is input in a few languages, choosing blocks of according text, switch language by choosing “Symbols”/”Language” menu. You can do it easy and naturally in the Microsoft Word XP: On status line “hangs” an indicator of text language, where cursor is; if you choose text and click the left button of mouse on that indicator, the menu of languages' option appears. If you choose a language and click on “Apply”, text in editor gains at once appropriate language property. As to the Writer you can fairly “kick the bucket” while for a few hours switching language property of parts of mixed text in different languages. The conclusion is that in the OpenOffice.org's Writer the language indicator should be on status line as it is in the Microsoft Word XP, in order, that the language of text in which at the moment is a cursor should be displayed, and that double clicking on it results in appearance of list of languages' options for chosen text.
3. There are extremely few table styles in the OpenOffice.org's Writer. There isn't even an appropriate list which, for example, is in the Microsoft Word XP. Therefore you can't create a normal table (for example, I need the style “Standard Table” from the Microsoft Word XP most of all, that is black header with white bold letters and white columns with black letters; “Elegant” style, web-tables, and other styles). Why are they absent in the OpenOffice.org Writer? And can I hope that they ever (in ten years possibly) appear in it? They are in good demand after all.
4. Pressing “Tab” key in the Microsoft Word XP you can create or increase paragraph indent, but in OpenOffice.org Writer, as in some “antediluvian”, indigenous editor the symbol of tab (chr$(9)) must be inserted. It is very uncomfortably almost every time for paragraph in new document choose item of the context menu that appears when pressing right button of mouse, item “Paragraph” and manually put down paragraph indent for the first line of paragraph 1.25 cm, and, if it is necessary to increase or decrease paragraph indent, you have to get in the same form again, instead of changing paragraph indent by pressing “Backspace” and “Tab” keys, as in the Microsoft Word XP. The conclusion is: It should be done in such way that the paragraph indent increases/decreases in the Writer like in the Microsoft Word XP. Otherwise, the OpenOffice.org's Writer will remain an editor for bluntsnout's morons, aboriginals, but not for serious office work in serious firms. Even in the StarOffice's Writer this problem was avoided, while in the OpenOffice.org's Writer programmers only jeer at users.
5. In the OpenOffice.org's Writer it isn't possible to choose some or even all end-footnotes for editing, for changing type, language or other parameters, though you can do it in the Microsoft Word XP easy and naturally. Why was that done in such awkward way in the Writer? In order that users would have to change end-footnotes one by one? If there are hundreds of them, then what? You can fairly “kick the bucket” with them indeed...
6. If you press Backspace in the beginning of the line in Microsoft Word XP then automatic justification of this line from the center to the right go into the left one. We don't have that in the OpenOffice.org's Writer. Why?
7. In dialog form of text's search it isn't possible enter special codes such as in the Microsoft Word XP: For example, line's break (^P), figure (^#), symbol (^?). Why? Why was that done in such awkward way? Adjust it, please!
8. In dialog box of search in the Microsoft Word XP you can choose attributes of text and, for example, desired type, language or something else, and keeping the field “Search” empty you can search text with appropriate attributes. In the OpenOffice.org's Writer you can't do it – until the field “Search” is empty the Writer will not move!
9. If you place text cursor to the right border of list's figures in the Microsoft Word XP or in StarOffice's Writer then by choosing type, size of type's point, buttons “Bold”/”Italic”/”Underline” you can change outline of list's figures, size of figures' type, figures' type itself; but in the trashy OpenOffice.org's Writer nothing changes.
10. I downloaded the sources of the OpenOffice.org office, but to compile them for the Windows or for the Linux proved to be practically impossible. Then by what did you compile it for these platforms? In fact, I wished to remove all described here problems by myself, but to clear up code's shapeless mash which is the source texts of the OpenOffice.org office is, in fact, impossible! It's a pity...
11. And where can you see a simple, non vector graphic editor in the OpenOffice.org office, similar to the Microsoft Windows Paint? In the StarOffice, for example, you can draw both simple “pictures” and “drawings”, but, for some reason, there are only “drawings” in the OpenOffice.org. There isn't required editor for simple graphics in this office.
And what the hell was the construction of such uncomfortable, awkward, large, slow, uncontrolled office with many bugs for lost idiots, cracky people, stupid aboriginals made? For what? I am asking you's!!!
Please, eliminate all these ignorant bugs and defects. Let the office OpenOffice.org's Writer will become an adequate alternative to the Microsoft Word XP with not less possibilities than the last one has. Or, at least, do that I ask you in this letter. After all I cannot entirely get onto the OpenOffice.org Writer from the Microsoft Word XP only because of reasons indicated in the letter. Take into consideration my demands, please, and thus you can create an editor which will compete with the Microsoft Word XP as equals. Or after all the Microsoft pays you for not making the OpenOffice.org's Writer an adequate alternative to Microsoft Word XP and you reject to make your office easy for money? And do you do it in order that the millions of people all around the world inspire of the awkwardness of the OpenOffice.org's Writer continue to use the Microsoft Word XP? Only this I can suppose seeing bugs and defects of the OpenOffice.org's Writer…
Truly yours, Yuriy.
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint is a vector graphic app???
Paint is a bitmap tool, and has no relation with MSOffice: it comes with the OS (windows, of course)
Almost all your complains are centered in direct formating: OOo soul is with Styles. In fact, points 1, 2, 4 and 5 can be "solved" in a couple of minutes with a proper style definition
I don't understand which is the problem in item 6: there are keyboard shortcuts for left, right and center alignment.
For 7, have you checked regular expressions?
For 8, have you tried a search by styles or character attributes?
and so on...

Voluntary wrote:
And what the hell was the construction of such uncomfortable, awkward, large, slow, uncontrolled office with many bugs for lost idiots, cracky people, stupid aboriginals made? For what? I am asking you's!!!

I can't believe it... Ok, no more comments... I'm losing my time
Westland
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voluntary interests (according to his profile):

Sociology, philosophy, poetike, programming, psyhology.

It looks like you have been tasting really good Vodka, "improving" your "poetic" style.

In my personal experience, only two kinds of people have problems switching to Openoffice:

* The ones with extensive knowledge of VB, that makes it harder using Calc.

* The ones with very poor knowledge of "general computer user", that get lost and complain if the "bold" button is a little different from what they are used to !!!
9point9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Some notes of OpenOffice.org's Writer. Result of testing Reply with quote

Voluntary wrote:

6. If you press Backspace in the beginning of the line in Microsoft Word XP then automatic justification of this line from the center to the right go into the left one. We don't have that in the OpenOffice.org's Writer. Why?

I think this some other issue to do with M$ Word's attitude towards direct formatting/styles. This feature is only helpful if you use direct formatting and will contradict good use of styles. That is why it is not available.

On point 10 I really think you need to read the instructions on how to compile OOo. It is complex, that is why you have failed.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Some notes of OpenOffice.org's Writer. Result of testing Reply with quote

Voluntary wrote:
Hello, Dear Sirs!
1. When I switch input language and entering the text in other language, the language of input text is the same that it was before the switching. For example, I input text in Russian, then switch layout to English, input text in English after that, but for some reason the Writer underlines it in red color.

Try setting up separate English and Russian Paragraph Styles and applying them. This should work. See Working with Styles in Writer
http://oooauthors.org/en/authors/userguide2/writer/published_final/

Quote:
4. Pressing “Tab” key in the Microsoft Word XP you can create or increase paragraph indent, but in OpenOffice.org Writer, as in some “antediluvian”, indigenous editor the symbol of tab (chr$(9))

Read about styles and then get back to us. You misunderstand the OOo philosophy. No one should have to learn all those arcane things that Word expects you to do.

Quote:

Because it is a barbaric way to do it? Use Styles properly.

Quote:
7. In dialog form of text's search it isn't possible enter special codes such as in the Microsoft Word XP: For example, line's break (^P), figure (^#), symbol (^?). Why? Why was that done in such awkward way? Adjust it, please!

Read the help section on Regular Expressions

Quote:
Truly yours, Yuriy.

Some of your points may be quite valid but it is clear that you have not learned enough about OOo to know what is and is not a reasonable criticism. I would suggest that you try using it for a while and read both the help files and the Guides at http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/index.html. The Getting Started and the Writer's Guides appear to be most suitable.
Boardquake
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should write a letter to the editor.
9point9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not to sure if the original poster will come back. In some ways that is a shame as he just doesn't seem to have understood some things and various replies have come back that may help him.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
RealGrouchy
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly (and ironically, given my username), I think that some of the responses were a bit harsh-sounding, whether intended as such or not. (remember everyone: sarcasm and polite tones don't mix with text communication!)

- RG>

XPsp2, OOo 2.3, SeaMonkey 1.1.7, IE v.6.6.6...
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealGrouchy wrote:
Quite frankly (and ironically, given my username), I think that some of the responses were a bit harsh-sounding, whether intended as such or not. (remember everyone: sarcasm and polite tones don't mix with text communication!)

- RG>

I think you will find that they were intended to be:twisted: .

A diatribe by someone who clearly knows almost nothing about the software can tend to annoy some of the forum participants, particularlywhen we hear the whinging cry of " I do it this way in XXX and since that does not work in OOo it must be impossbile", particularly when 2 minutes with the Help facility would have shown how to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: