OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Combination charts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duster929
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Combination charts? Reply with quote

I am having a hard time finding a way to make a combination chart in Calc, although it is undoubtedly possible.

I have two series. One should be a line, plotted against the primary y-axis.

The other series should be a column series, plotted against the secondary y-axis.

I have a chart now which shows bot series as lines, one plotted on the primary y-axis and the other plotted against the secondary y-axis. How do I turn the second series into a colum series instead of a line series? Surely this is possible.

If I have to start over, I don't mind. If someone could give me a clue as to how to do this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

--- D
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Combination charts? Reply with quote

Duster929 wrote:
I am having a hard time finding a way to make a combination chart in Calc, although it is undoubtedly possible.

The other series should be a column series, plotted against the secondary y-axis.

I have a chart now which shows bot series as lines, one plotted on the primary y-axis and the other plotted against the secondary y-axis. How do I turn the second series into a colum series instead of a line series? Surely this is possible.

If I have to start over, I don't mind. If someone could give me a clue as to how to do this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

--- D

I think this will work if you are plotting a chart (that is the x-axis is (or can be treated as a categorical variable). Wait a minute of course you are.

Create chart ( Column chart --> Variant = Combination chart.
Click anywhere but on the chart
Move cursor over chart and right click
Select Edit from pop-up menu
Double click on the data series you want to have the seconday y-axis
Options > Secondary y-axs
Duster929
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I tried this, and before I got done I had to cancel and work on the spreadsheet a bit more for reasons unrelated to the charting. However, I notice that now, whenever I try to enter a date into the "date" field of my spreadsheet, the date now is appended to the existing date in that field, or the entire row expands to many times its set height and shows all of the data in all the adjacent cells in the one "date" cell, like some kind of cell merge / text wrap has been activated.

I know I am not giving enough detail to diagnose this problem... it is obviously a bug of some kind that has been activated by playing around with the charting features. I'll have to work on it a bit more to isolate exactly what went wrong.

That being said, and seeing as you are a "super user", can you tell me.... is there major work being done on updating the charting feature in OOcalc? I really hope that the next version is easier to use than this one. In many ways I prefer Calc over Excel and am trying to switch, but the difficulties inherent in the charting make Excel look very attractive. I really think improved charting should be a priority for the next generation of calc, and I'm going to peruse the issue tracker to see if I can contribute some ideas. Do you have any idea if this is also the consensus in the developer community?

--- D
Duster929
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Combination charts? Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
Duster929 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

--- D

I think this will work if you are plotting a chart (that is the x-axis is (or can be treated as a categorical variable). Wait a minute of course you are.

Create chart ( Column chart --> Variant = Combination chart.
Click anywhere but on the chart
Move cursor over chart and right click
Select Edit from pop-up menu
Double click on the data series you want to have the seconday y-axis
Options > Secondary y-axs

OK, I ran through all of your steps (I'm disregarding my data foul-up at the moment), and now I get a line series on the secondary axis, and a column series on the primary axis. I wanted to have a colume series on the secondary axis, and a line series on the primary axis. How do I reverse them now?

--- D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: