OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to avoid restarting outline numbering on level 2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: How to avoid restarting outline numbering on level 2? Reply with quote

I want to have an outline numbering looking something like this:

Part 1 - My first part
Chapter 1 - My first chapter
Chapter 2 - My second chapter
Part 2 - My second part
Chapter 3 - My third chapter
Chapter 4 - My fourth chapter

The problem is that Writer wants to restart chapter numbering from 1 in the beginning of each 'part'.

Ideally I'd like to have the 'part' outline at level 1 and the 'chapter' outline on level 2 so that everything looks correct in the navigator. Also, I'd prefer not to use different documents for the different 'parts'.

Is this possible?

/Klas
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I found to do that, is using a paragraph style (for example, heading 1) for the chapters, and a numbering style for the parts (or a simple paragraph style), and then enter the title of the parts as manual entries in the TOC (selecting the entire title and pressing Insert Index Marker) In this way, the manual entries are not automatically numbered in the TOC, but as far as I know (I hope someone correct me) there is no way to put two different styles at the same level in the TOC.
Klas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a numbering style could be a solution. Thank you RGB for suggesting that!

It seems to be the old annoying issue http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=5038 that noone seems to care about that has bitten me again.

In MS Word it is possible to set another outline level for which the numbering of the 'current' outline numbering should restart. I hoped for something similar in Writer so I could set the outline numbering of chapters to never restart.

I actually did achive exactly what I was looking for in a Writer document that I wrote from scratch. I don't know how I did it though. But then I did Tools>Update and the chapters were renumbered. Damn!

/Klas
goa103
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started writing with OOo I also wanted to number my headings, so I posted the Numbering : 1. > 1.1. | 1.2.2, 2. | 2.1. ... message on the starofficeusers Yahoo! Group. Here is a quote from the solution I found :

Quote:
Thanks but I found a way to outline my document a few hours later.
I read the StarOffice FAQ and documentation... I can't understand what
they say, I think there's a mistake or something.
I simply opened my document, opened the Outline Editor and changed the
levels for each heading.
And voilą, my document was properly outlined.
I wonder why they advice us to use the left arrow from the right corner,
it's completely unsable and most users probably don't know it exists.

So it just worked fine for me and it still works, luckily Smile.

JM
robbyn
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the numbering 1 list style. It uses the outline. I have had two lists in a letter. One in the main letter and then later on in some notes on subsequent pages. How do I restart the numbering?

When you love a delicate rose remember she has thorns and a root. In time the petals will fall away.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbyn wrote:
I have been using the numbering 1 list style. It uses the outline. I have had two lists in a letter. One in the main letter and then later on in some notes on subsequent pages. How do I restart the numbering?

Select the first paragraph in the second list. Select Paragraph on the Format menu, then select the Numbering tab and check the Restart at this paragraph box in the Numbering section.
robbyn
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for replying

When you love a delicate rose remember she has thorns and a root. In time the petals will fall away.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to avoid restarting outline numbering on level 2? Reply with quote

Klas wrote:
I want to have an outline numbering looking something like this:

Part 1 - My first part
Chapter 1 - My first chapter
Chapter 2 - My second chapter
Part 2 - My second part
Chapter 3 - My third chapter
Chapter 4 - My fourth chapter

The problem is that Writer wants to restart chapter numbering from 1 in the beginning of each 'part'.

Ideally I'd like to have the 'part' outline at level 1 and the 'chapter' outline on level 2 so that everything looks correct in the navigator. Also, I'd prefer not to use different documents for the different 'parts'.

Is this possible?

/Klas

You can set up your Part and Chapter headings in Tools - Outlne Numbering so they will show in the Navigator. You can then directly apply a numbering style to your chapter headings. The chapters will then be numbered consecutively without restarting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: