OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

No Menus in User - Root Only

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakiZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: No Menus in User - Root Only Reply with quote

After installing OO in my Debian system, I can only run OO in root.

Oh, in user mode it loads just fine. I just can't see any menus in user mode. All I see is little rectangles where letters are supposed to be.

In root, the menus appear perfectly.

At least I can use OO. But I don't like running it in root.

Is there a fix for this?

sakiZ
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been several instances of this. A search would reveal the threads. This is one. Did you use the OO installation or a Debian installation? If the latter, it may be worth looking to Debian support.
sakiZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Thanks. Did RPM install Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you use the OO installation or a Debian installation?

I used the rpms from 00 and converted them with alien.

I used this method because I have a T-1 line at work a nd dial-up at home. ;-( I downloaded and burned it to a CD.

I have read several of the posts you refer to, some previously. I see some new ones.

I actually do not see my EXACT problem mentioned although many appear to be similar.

You see, I can load and start typing into Writer for example. But I can't do much in the way of anything else because I can't see the menus. They're all little rectangles where letters should be.

I will try some of the suggestions. If I have to continue using OO with a password I will. I like it. I use Mozilla Composer as my writing tool mostly. OO imports what I write in Composer perfectly -- graphics, links and all.

This is a good combo for me.

sakiZ
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference could be in the way you launch OO. Possibly, you launch as root from a terminal / console. If you do the same as user, what result do you get? Did you convert and run the desktop-integration rpm as well as the main installation rpms?

You should check this, but I gather re-running installation serves as a repair mechanism. Re-running rpms certainly should not harm existing packages but I have no knowledge of the Debian mechanism.
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds vaguely like it might be a font problem. Are any of these useful
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=118620#118620 ( familiar name here Wink )
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=85158#85158
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=21788&highlight=menu+system+font

(I think they're all variations on a theme)

Edit
PS - If it's Fonts, it sort of implies that root has access to these particular fonts, but users do not.... Confused

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
sakiZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Solved! Reply with quote

Well this was a very simple fix. It just took me a while to think of it.

After exhausting all the OO possibilities, I began to ponder the suggestion that the problem was a "font" problem on the Debian side.

I began to ponder how logging in as root and logging in as user you get two completely different desktops. "Root" is totally unconfigured in my system. Interestingly enough it has only been recently that I had found a hack that let me log in as root.

Anyway, root looks just like it did the day I installed the OS. My user desktop is highly tweaked and looks very different.

I thought "What if....the font preferences in the two desktops are different and the user one is incompatible somehow?

This seemed highly likely.

So, tonight I logged in as root and looked at the font preferences. "Menu" fonts were set to Helvetica 12 pt.

I immediately exited and re-logged in as user. Those menu preferences all used "Clearly PUA". Menu fonts were set at "Clearly PUA 13 pt".

I changed the Menu font prefs to Helvitica 12 pt. and fired up OO. FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my pulldown menus.

Wheee!!!!

My apologies for thinking it might have been OO.

Thanks for everyone's help.

sakiZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: