OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Re-arranging data into columns for Address Labels?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CallMeZoot
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Re-arranging data into columns for Address Labels? Reply with quote

I need to create address labels from a spreadsheet, but the addresses are not laid out in columns -- is there a way to automatically re-distribute data into column format.

The file I have has the addresses laid out like this

Name
Street
City, State

Name
Street
City, State

Name
Street
City, State

(etc. for about 200 people).

Is there a way to automatically re-arrange this data into columns so that I can use it as a Data Source in printing address labels? Or do I have to copy and paste each cell into a new document???

Thanks,
chris.
RickRandom
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you right, you have data in cells A1, A2, A3, A5, A6, A7, A9, A10, A11, or some such pattern.

They need to follow a regular pattern, not sometimes one blank row, sometimes, 2 blank rows. You need the name every 4th row, or a similar pattern.

If they're regular, try this:

Put 1 in cell D1, 2 in E1, 3 in F1 (assuming you have 3 rows per name, if more, then put 4 in G1, etc)

Put 0 in C2

Put =C2+4 in C3, and fill down however many names you have (if your data repeats every 5 rows, make it =C2+5, etc)

Put =OFFSET($A$1,$C2+D$1,0) in D2, and fill across to E2 and F2, and fill down however many names you have. (If your dat is not in column A, then you need to adjust the formula - if you need advice on this, ask again.)

The OFFSET function says get the contents of the cell that are OFFSET a certain number of rows and columns from a given cell.

Let us know if this works, or if it doesn't make any sense!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: