OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Printout in OOo 2.0 differ from OOo 1.1.5, wrong TTFonts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Der Hanseat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Printout in OOo 2.0 differ from OOo 1.1.5, wrong TTFonts Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

here is a question concerning OOo 2.0 on Linux using (Windows) TrueType Fonts:

I used OOo 1.1.n on Linux for quite a while. After having installed the TrueType Fonts of Windows in the X server, I could work on old documents which I created by using MS Office. I also could write new ones which look nearly identical to the ones I used to create under Windows.

Then I installed OOo 2.0 and imported the current personal settings of OOo 1.1.5. With the new program suite, the Windows TT Fonts look kind of strange, queer on the screen. This holds also true when printing. Somehow, the fonts look as if replaced by a Linux derivative of the font, i. e. Times New Roman replaced by Bitstream Vera Serif (or so). In addition, normal fonts are printed in bold and vice versa.

The printer uses so much ink that it takes a while before the paper can be handled properly.

Needless to say that the layout of MS Office docs is distorted due to the font replacement. With Linux's fonts, this problem does not occur. However, the orientation of documents smaller than the standard paper format (in my case DIN A4) changes so that a lot of re-formatting and re-positioning of text is required before I can print, i. e. a post-card format document page, on the printer.

However, the same document opened and printed with OOo 1.1.5 (which I re-installed in parallel after the experience) looks perfectly the way it should.

Now for the questions:
What is the reason for this behaviour of OOo 2.0?
Where is the problem: cups, the printer, the X server, OOo?
How can it be mended?

Any idea? Thanks a lot in advance and greetings from
der Hanseat

Specs:
Fedora Core 2 Linux
Kernel 2.6.14 and 2.6.15-rc1 (self-made)
OpenOffice.org 2.0 (OOO680_m3_native_packed-3_de.8968)
Canon BJC-4200 (old but reliable)
cups 1.1.20
X server version 11, release 60.700.000 (xorg-x11-6.7.0-14)
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Did you install fonts to /usr/share/fonts?

2. Check Tools->Options then OpenOffice.org->Fonts. Try unchecking Apply replacement table.

By the way, you posted your question twice, so you may want to delete one.
Der Hanseat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: [solved] Printout in OOo 2.0 differ from OOo 1.1.5, wrong .. Reply with quote

Hi ahz,

ahz wrote:
1. Did you install fonts to /usr/share/fonts?

No, to /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Truetype. -- To be precise, this is what I did:

I put the .ttf files in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Truetype and created a "fonts.dir" file by running "mkfontdir" in that directory. Then, I create a "fonts.scale" file by running "ttmkfdir > fonts.scale" in that directory. Finally, I added the line

FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Truetype"

in the "Files" section of /etc/fonts/fonts.conf (FC-2 specific conf file). After restarting the X server, all X programs could use the fonts.

However, this is not the problem.

ahz wrote:
2. Check Tools->Options then OpenOffice.org->Fonts. Try unchecking Apply replacement table.

This was unchecked from the beginning.

Somehow, the problem got solved anyway. No idea why. I did 2 things (I reckon):
(1) I re-installed OpenOffice.org 1.1.5
(2) I checked and immediately unchecked the box mentioned above by ahz
Perhaps a 3rd thing,
(3) I restarted the computer....

One of these actions or all led to the fact that OpenOffice 2.0 displays and prints all my documents (as far as tested yet) perfectly fine. Strange.

In any way, everyone may use the procedure described above in order to install TTF fonts (legally obtained ones, of course!) in Fedora Linux. It was not made up by me, though, but found somewhere on the www and adopted to FC-2.

Thanks for reading to all and aswering to you, ahz!
Cheers,
der Hanseat
Der Hanseat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Looks like problem solves Reply with quote

Hello ahz, hello everyone else,

it looks to me as if I solved the problem. In order to avoid this strange behaviour of TrueType fonts on screen and while printing in OOo 2.0, you need to have two separate TrueType font folders:

One of the original Linux fonts,

the other one for the TTF fonts imported from Windows.

You have to treat both folders as described earlier and you need to refer to them both in your X11 server config file.

Lte's see how things are when I updated to OOo 2.0.1 Wink

Cheers from
Der Hanseat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: