OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Filter Proposal - how does it work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobert_oo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Filter Proposal - how does it work Reply with quote

Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom re: filter proposals. I can' make heads or tails out of this entry in OO help.

"Filter proposal
While designing your form, you can set the "Filter proposal" property for each text box in the Data tab of the corresponding Properties dialog. In subsequent searches in the filter mode, you can select from all information contained in these fields. The field content can then be selected using the AutoComplete function.Note, however, that this function requires a greater amount of memory space and time, especially when used in large databases and should therefore be used sparingly."

thank you
robert
Safway
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Here is what I have found Reply with quote

"While designing your form, you can set the "Filter proposal" property for each text box in the Data tab of the corresponding Properties dialog."
In other words, to get to this area:
1) Create a form with labels and text boxes in it
2) Select a text box only (not the label) as you want to control the text box properties
3) Select the "Data" tab withing the text box properties window
4) Choose "Yes" in the "Filter proposal" option if you propose (maybe you want to in the future) to filter the database contents based on this field.
------------------------------
"In subsequent searches in the filter mode, you can select from all information contained in these fields."
5) Once you have chosen "Yes" in step 4 above, you are allowed to use a drop-down menu by performing the following steps.
a) Go back to your form
b) Click the "Form-Based Filters" icon near the bottom of the form
c) ALL THE FIELDS YOU CHOOSE YES TO ARE NOW DROP DOWN MENUS WITH VALUES IN THEM
d) Choose the value you want from any/all drop down menus
e) Click the "Apply Form-Based Filters" icon near the bottom of the form
i) YOU SHOULD NOW SEE THE PROGRAM FILTERING BASED ON YOUR DROP DOWN OPTIONS
6) You should now understand how step 4 allowed you to filter the form based on a certain text box. Pretty powerful, huh?
"The field content can then be selected using the AutoComplete function."
7) You really have a couple of options in step 5d. You can either select from the drop down menus OR start typing an entry. If you start typing an entry, you will notice that it will automatically complete the entry for you.
"Note, however, that this function requires a greater amount of memory space and time, especially when used in large databases and should therefore be used sparingly."
Cool This should be self-explanatory
donaciano
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Hrrrmm... Reply with quote

This doesn't work for me at all. I did the changes to my form, and I get the drop-down but it's always empty. No autocomplete when I type and all the drop-downs are 2 rows tall so it's not some font issue.

I'm using 2.0.4 on OS X Intel.
Safway
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: When did this feature break? Reply with quote

Indeed, it looks like this feature is broken in 2.0.4. I have created a trouble ticket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: