OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How do I restart a numbered list?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: How do I restart a numbered list? Reply with quote

I have several numbered lists in a document.

If I select the paragraphs that make up each list (one-at-a-time) and click on the "adds or removes numbering" icon, each list starts with 1, However, I don't know how to get the numbers right-justified or to control the spacing.

If I define a numbered style so I can get right-justification and spacing, I can't get each list to start at 1. I have modified the paragraph style under "Numbering" to "restart at this paragraph" with number 1, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

There's gotta be something simple I'm overlooking, right?

Thanks.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I restart a numbered list? Reply with quote

pjh wrote:
I have several numbered lists in a document.

If I select the paragraphs that make up each list (one-at-a-time) and click on the "adds or removes numbering" icon, each list starts with 1, However, I don't know how to get the numbers right-justified or to control the spacing.

If I define a numbered style so I can get right-justification and spacing, I can't get each list to start at 1. I have modified the paragraph style under "Numbering" to "restart at this paragraph" with number 1, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

There's gotta be something simple I'm overlooking, right?

Thanks.

If you turn on numbering with the icon on the formatting toolbar, you can set the justification and position using Format - Bullets and Numbering. Look on the Postiion tab.

When you use a numbering style, you get the numbering to restart at a paragraph by placing the cursor in the paragraph and using Format - Paragraph. Look on the Numbering tab and check "restart at this paragraph" under Numbering, not "restart at this paragraph" under Line numbering. The box you checked is for Line numbering, not for restarting List numbering.
pjh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I restart a numbered list? Reply with quote

BillP wrote:

1. If you turn on numbering with the icon on the formatting toolbar, you can set the justification and position using Format - Bullets and Numbering. Look on the Postiion tab.

2. When you use a numbering style, you get the numbering to restart at a paragraph by placing the cursor in the paragraph and using Format - Paragraph. Look on the Numbering tab and check "restart at this paragraph" under Numbering, not "restart at this paragraph" under Line numbering. The box you checked is for Line numbering, not for restarting List numbering.

Thanks. In (1), how do I right-justify the numbers, so that the ones column lines up and the 10s column lines up?

2) There's only "line numbering" in the Numbering tab. Where is list numbering?

If I set a numbering style, then all the paragraphs with this style (Text body) get numbers.
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For lists numbered using numbered lists, you need to restart numbering using *direct* formatting. This means: right-click your first item, Paragraph, Numbering tab, Restart at this paragraph. I consider this a design flaw in Writer. When you rearrange the list, you have to manually check whether the numbering is OK. I see that now, in version two, the manual formatting will automatically be removed when you move the first item down in the list, preventing you from having lists like 4. 5. 1. 2.etc. Hopefully, in the next version, the "manual formatting" will automatically be transferred to the new first item in the list.

With respect to your point 1, "Numbering alignment: right" on the Position tab does the trick for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: