OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Word: "2 pages on 1" --> OOo: How?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle3386
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Word: "2 pages on 1" --> OOo: How?!? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm using OOo, v 2.0.1 (680m1, Build 8990) and I can't figure out how to get OOo to do what I want.
In Word, I had an option for the page layout which was called "2 pages" and it was just great, because I've got a "mail merge"-document which is *always* just half the size of a DIN A4-document (portrait format).
So my printer (HP PSC 1350) printed the pages always in a way that 2 "half-DIN A4-pages" shared one single DIN A4.

In OOo, I couldn't find a way to do so and therefore I'd like to know if there's such a way and if so, how to get this working. Smile

Kindly regards,

Martin.. Very Happy
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Print, Options, as Brochure.

Or File menu, Page Preview, Print Options, and print from there, e.g. landscape two columns or portrait two columns and two rows.
Eagle3386
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that didn't work! Sad

Firstly, "as Brochure" isn't directly available. Instead, I had to click "Add-Ons" (I don't know if this is the correct translation due to my OOo is German, but I mean that button in the bottom-left corner Wink) and then choose "leaflet" (IMHO this is what is equal to "Brochure"..).
But that results in a printed page where the first DIN A5-page is printed in the upper-right area of the page and the text-size is *very* small.. Sad

Secondly, going to "Print Preview" and setting up the layout to 2 rows, 1 column doesn't give me 2 pages on 1.

Thirdly, I also tried both of the ones above with "DIN A5" as the page-size-setting, but there was no luck at all, too..

So, maybe there's any further help? Smile
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle3386 wrote:
Well, that didn't work! Sad

Well, it works fine for me.
Quote:
Firstly, "as Brochure" isn't directly available. Instead, I had to click "Add-Ons" (I don't know if this is the correct translation due to my OOo is German, but I mean that button in the bottom-left corner Wink) and then choose "leaflet" (IMHO this is what is equal to "Brochure"..).

Which is what I said. Print, Options (add-ons), as Brochure (leaflet).
Quote:
But that results in a printed page where the first DIN A5-page is printed in the upper-right area of the page and the text-size is *very* small.. Sad

Sounds like you're printer (not your document) is set up for A5 portrait paper instead of A4 landscape.
Quote:
Secondly, going to "Print Preview" and setting up the layout to 2 rows, 1 column doesn't give me 2 pages on 1.

I said two columns, not two rows.

My document is set up for A5 portrait. My printer is set up for A4 landscape. Print as brochure gives me two pages on A4 landscape as expected.

Print from page preview gives me two pages on each sheet in numerical order as expected. Perhaps you're using the print icon from the Standard toolbar rather than the print page view icon on the Page Preview toolbar?

If, by "just half the size of a DIN A4-document" you mean A5 landscape, then my explanation is wrong, as I assumed that you meant A5 portrait. Then you would need to set up your page for A5 landscape and page preview two rows on A4 Portrait paper. I hope this is obvious. The page preview options dialogue shows a preview of the expected result.

I expect that you will work it out soon enough.
Using a PDF printer driver is cheaper than wasting paper. Wink
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set up 2+ pages per sheet at File > Page Preview > last icon to right. Then use the icon to its left to do the printing in the selected configuration.
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
You can set up 2+ pages per sheet at File > Page Preview > last icon to right. Then use the icon to its left to do the printing in the selected configuration.

Yes. And before doing this, set the page size you want to use for output in File -> Printer Settings.
ErikJan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have tried this, but cannot get two pages, say page three and page 10 on one sheet, with page ten on the left and page 3 on the right. I must say, MSWord is much easier in this respect. Or did I miss something?

Erik.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik,

The OP apparently just want pages 1 & 2, etc. on the same page. It sounds like you want a brochure which is the first response in the thread. Depending on what you are doing and your printer you may have to 1st print right and then left pages.

Last edited by JohnV on Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ErikJan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear JohnV,

the first response encouraged me to ask my question. Sometimes my printer has a hickup and I need to print *some* pages of the set, say the pages 10 and 3. This I cannot accomplish. I worked around the problem by printing brochure-way to a PDF-printer and then printing the missing pages, but somehow printing pdf's is very slow. So I prefer to print from the document file itself. Do you know the answer to the problem?

Greetings,

Erik.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a printer that doesn't hiccup. Wink

You could try setting up Brochure and then specify 3,10 as the pages to print in the regular print dialog. If that doesn't work copy pages 3 and 10 the a new document, manually set the page numbers and do Brochure on that or print 2 pages per sheet as indicated above.

This assumes 3 & 10 belong on the same page and I'm not going to think about that.
ErikJan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you JohnV,

your anwer implies that OOo cannot do this. I shall no longer try to get it done.

Greetings,

Erik.
Eagle3386
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is there a chance that the developers will include this? Smile
ErikJan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Eagle3386,

this question you will have to ask the developers themselves. I hope they will include it. I find that there are many things that can be done more easily in MS Word than in Openoffice.org. I am afraid the buget for the latter is smaller than for the former.

Greetings,

Erik.
Eagle3386
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm going to post that to their BugZilla.. Wink Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: