OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Spellchecker Doesn't Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollander
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Spellchecker Doesn't Work Reply with quote

hello,

My problem is that the spell checker doesn't work. When i make a new document with some wrong typed words for example. There don't come any red lines and when i push F7 he doesn't find an error.

The language settings are ok (options>language), and when i hit F11 and edit the default paragraph setting, the langauge also is configered oke on the font setting.

anyone that can help me?
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a checkmark with an "abc" on left of your language? If not, the dictionaries are not properly installed.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Spellchecker Doesn't Work Reply with quote

hollander wrote:
hello,

My problem is that the spell checker doesn't work. When i make a new document with some wrong typed words for example. There don't come any red lines and when i push F7 he doesn't find an error.

The language settings are ok (options>language), and when i hit F11 and edit the default paragraph setting, the langauge also is configered oke on the font setting.

anyone that can help me?

Here are some general guidelines for setting up a spell-checker. I hope they help.

Spell-checking in Multiple Languages
You must make sure that you have the dictionaries you need. Go
Tools>Options>Languages Settings > Languages and see if the language you want has a check mark beside it. See this for an example http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/images/Checkmark.jpg) Only languages with a checkmark are actually on your computer. If it is not there go to
File>Wizards>Install new dictionaries and follow the instructions from there.

Once the dictionary is downloaded quit OOo and Quickstarter, restart OOo and go Tools>Options>Languages Settings > Languages and select the language you want. You may also want to change the locale setting.

There are (AFAIK) three ways to set up for a language to be spell checked:.

1) For the entire document
Tools > Options>Language Settings> Languages which will make the default dictionary the language selected and all text in the doc will be assumed to be that language (at least for that document. There is an option on the Languages mask to set the dictionary only for the current document).

2)For a paragraph
Create a new paragraph style called Insert your own choice and assign the dictionary to it by setting the Language option under Font. Then use it to format the paragraph. You must format the paragraph before spell checking.

3) For a word or phrase:
Do the same as 2 but for a characters style : Use it to format individual words or phrases in an otherwise different language paragraph.

If you are working with a document that was created in another word processor you may have to assign a language to it. To do this do a Select All and then go
Tools>Options>Languages Settings > Languages and select the language you want.

Then after you have done one of the three things above you run the spell-checker.
hollander
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solved.. i did it manual.. Smile

Last edited by hollander on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollander wrote:
is there a way i can download it from a website? because it would not connect to the internet.
the proxy settings are oke, i am at work now and there is a proxy server between it but it is configered correct in OOo.

edit: i downloaded a zip with 2 files a .aff and .dic file. but when i do a offline installation with the dictionary wizard. Basic starts and i get a error with bad zip file :S

Sorry, I cannot help you there. I never got it to work either but then I discovered the Wizard and never went back to try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: