OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Heading numbering not working after reopening the file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keila

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Heading numbering not working after reopening the file Reply with quote

Hi,

Some week ago I created a text file with writer. Now I opened it and tried to add one subheading. The number of this heading should be 7.4, but when I added it, it was 1.1. So the the writer didn't recognize any previously created headings anymore.

When I updated the table of contents, it was created nicely:
7 Heading
7.1 Heading
7.2 Heading
7.3 Heading
1.1 Heading

I tried to change the starting of this numbering by right clicking the number and choosing Numbering/Bullets and changing the value of "Start at" for levels 2 and 3 separately (level 1 doesn't have number in my document). It workd for a while, but then I modified the earlier chapters the heading number was set back to 7.1. After this I wasn't able to reset this value to 7.4, it was stuck to 7.1

I'm afraid there is no easy way to force the writer to refresh its heading numbering, but anyway, is there?
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Heading numbering not working after reopening the file Reply with quote

Keila wrote:
Hi,

Some week ago I created a text file with writer. Now I opened it and tried to add one subheading. The number of this heading should be 7.4, but when I added it, it was 1.1. So the the writer didn't recognize any previously created headings anymore.

When I updated the table of contents, it was created nicely:
7 Heading
7.1 Heading
7.2 Heading
7.3 Heading
1.1 Heading

I tried to change the starting of this numbering by right clicking the number and choosing Numbering/Bullets and changing the value of "Start at" for levels 2 and 3 separately (level 1 doesn't have number in my document). It workd for a while, but then I modified the earlier chapters the heading number was set back to 7.1. After this I wasn't able to reset this value to 7.4, it was stuck to 7.1

I'm afraid there is no easy way to force the writer to refresh its heading numbering, but anyway, is there?

Hi Keila,

The first question is what OS and what version of OOo are you using? OOo 2.0.0 has some serious problems with numbering and this may be the problem. The only solution I know of is to upgrade to 2.0.1.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using the format paintbrush to copy the format of the 7.3 Heading line to the subheading which you added.
Keila

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Windows XP and OOo version 2.0.1

Thanks for that format paintbrush tip, it helped Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: