OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

colums and lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parousia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: colums and lines Reply with quote

I just started to use the OO and I noticed it does not show the lines and columns at the bottom like the MS Word does. As an author I like to use that for placing chapter titles and so forth. is there a way to format OO to show this?

can I take another template similar to a pdf (I'm using a lulu template) and just open that file and use it successfully?

sorry for the simple questions but I'm just starting with this as a new program. thank you for help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: colums and lines Reply with quote

parousia wrote:
I just started to use the OO and I noticed it does not show the lines and columns at the bottom like the MS Word does. As an author I like to use that for placing chapter titles and so forth. is there a way to format OO to show this?

I think the question has been asked before and the short answer is no.

If I understand what you want then the longer answer is that you should not do things that way in OOo. For all or almost all formatting you should use the various styles. OOo Writer is designed to be used with Styles and in fact you cannot really do certain thing without using them.

For something like a chapter heading you probably would want to apply a Heading level 1 or 2. Hit F11 to bring up the Stylist and right-click on a style and select Modify to see what you can do.
Have a look a these chapters on using styles for some idea of what you can do with them.
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/index.html
Writer Guide
Ch6 - Introduction to Styles
Ch7 - Working with Styles

Quote:
can I take another template similar to a pdf (I'm using a lulu template) and just open that file and use it successfully?

Sorry, but I don't understand this question. If you have another OOo template (. ott) yes not a problem just open it and use it. PDF documents will not convert to OOo. However OOo will export to a PDF document. It is probably better to use the File > Export menu rather than the tool bar icon since it offers more choices.
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: colums and lines Reply with quote

parousia wrote:

Not really.

You can go to Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice.org Writer and turn on the vertical ruler which for some reason is off by default. You can also use Tools -> Line Numbering, turning on line numbering when you are working, and turn if off before printing.

But as to placing chapter titles and so forth all alike, I recommend doing it the easy way.

Every time you want to include a chapter heading, just double-click the Headng 1 style from the applied style combo fox at the far left of the Formatting toolbar or by pressing F11 and accessing it from the StyleList. That will turn on the Heading 1 style. Then type your titles in that style (and other headings in other predefined or created styles). A right-click on a style's name in the Stylelist gives you the ability to modify the style, setting the font, spacing above and below, right and left, and other features. If you do change the style, the appearance of every title in that style will automatically change.

So set your chapter heading spacing once only in the Heading 1 style and then reuse it by using that style on other chapter headings. And if you ever want to change the look or spacing or size of your chapter headings, you can change them all at once by jsut the Heading 1 style.

Quote:

I don't understand your question. But you can take any OOo document or template and many MSOffice documents and templates you find on the web or elswhere, import them into OpenOffice, save them as OpenOffice templates, and use them accordingly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: