OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Interview with OOo programmer Michael Meeks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Interview with OOo programmer Michael Meeks Reply with quote

This is a FOSDEM (open source conference) interview with Novel-paid OOo developer Michael Meeks. He talks about performance among other things, and some of it is technical.

http://www.fosdem.org/2006/index/interviews/interviews_meeks
DanK
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that article and thought wow, if open office started faster that'd cure my biggest issue with it right now, so I rush off to get a copy of rc4 figuring that I could at least test and see if there was much difference, and well, there doesn't seem to be, were these optimizations for linux specific issues or simply just aren't in yet? I'm looking at 30 second startup times on a Pentium 4 CPU 2.53GHz (504 mb of ram... one of those shares ram with the vid card setups) and while it's by no means a power house computer, my home computer that IS a powerhouse takes a long time to startup (though I've never timed it... it's probably around 5 seconds but might even be as high as 20). The second time I use writer or any other open office program is generally pretty instant, but that first time is absolutely killer (or any other time when open office gets swapped out of memory) even with the use of quickstarter.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's still working on most of the problems, and the release notes show only one performance improvement in 2.0.2:

http://development.openoffice.org/releases/2.0.2rc4.html
zero0w
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interview with Michael Meeks by the Linux Format Magazine, excellent material:

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: