OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

copy sheet (big table) from calc to writer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
towsonu2003
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: copy sheet (big table) from calc to writer Reply with quote

I couldn't do the research prior to posting this, as I couldn't come up with the correct words I guess.

Basically, I have a table in calc. It is about 3 pages long... I need to copy - paste it to writer. Now, the under-1-page documents are easy to past, but when I try to paste this big table, instead of being spread over 3 pages, writer makes it small enough to fit into one page. And it looks creepy and I don't think my thesis committe would like it Wink

Is there a way to paste this correctly?

My workaround was to convert shreadsheet to pdf, use pdftoppm to convert it to ppm (each page as one ppm) and ppmtojpeg to convert it to jpg picture. Then I just inserted it to the place I wanted. It isn't very practical though...

Thanks for any pointers in advance.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you simply past it, it is considered as a calc sheet, not always a very good choice. In your case, as you certainly don't need to have many updates between calc sheet and your text, you should past it as HTML (long click on the paste button or clic on the arrow).
towsonu2003
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
If you simply past it, it is considered as a calc sheet, not always a very good choice. In your case, as you certainly don't need to have many updates between calc sheet and your text, you should past it as HTML (long click on the paste button or clic on the arrow).

Nice, looks like this works for me! Thanks so much Smile

By the way, in my system, this deosn't work: long click on the paste button or clic on the arrow. Possibly bc my version is 1.9.129 but not 2.x (ubuntu doesn't automatically update it + dial up etc etc etc)

Instead I used ctrl+shift+v and selected html, which worked just fine.

A quick question though (am I now being lazy?): what is the function of dde link (in the same "paste as" menu)? it looks exactly the same as pasting in html. -just trying to find the best way to go about this Wink Again, any pointers are appreciated Smile
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Past icon must have been improved from 1.9 to 2.0.1.

DDE link only works with windows. See the OOo Help for DDE link to have more information. If you want to keep the possibility of updating a table, it's better than HTML past (and it does not fit the table on a single page like calc past).

I'd had some bad experience with DDE links but I just tried it and it looked fine. I'll try to use it again.
towsonu2003
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested or having the same problem, I was not able to resolve my issue. The following link goes to an enhancement issue filed with OOo issuezilla: http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=63175

This is unfortunately a show stopper for me, bc I am required to embed long complicated calc tables (spanning for pages at once, does not have formulas but format is crucial) into very long and constantly revised writer files.
acknak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a shot at it; here's what I came up with:
http://www.mytempdir.com/517245
Is that somewhere close?
Anyway, I agree that the copy/paste from Calc to Writer should be improved, but I'm not convinced that it's so terribly crucial, since the goals of a spreadsheet and a text document are usually quite different. E.g, I may use color in a spreadsheet because I work with it on my screen; the same data in a Writer table would have to be b&w or grayscale, as it's usually not practical (or necessary) to print in color. I've never really wanted to copy anything from a spreadsheet except the data, which I'm happy to re-format for my document. If I have a more text-oriented table, I just do it in Writer to begin with. Writer can do simple calculations in it's tables, and if necessary, I copy and paste to Calc to do a quick calculation.
However, I don't know what your situation is and you may need something I've not run into.
towsonu2003
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that you are not used to the effortless interplay / interoperability between excel and word. Usually, this feature will be useful when the table tools in writer will be insufficient for your needs, especially when having to put a long and complex-formatted calc table into a long writer text.

The feature in question is definitely a show stopper for my current and future needs and I ended up installing word and excel using wine (which doesn't work well) and then qemu (which works much better but very slow).

Also, from a professional perspective (my current job), having to manually format tables I do in calc and paste into writer would eat up most of my work hours...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: