OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Need an easy way to resize all layers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmccrackan
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Need an easy way to resize all layers Reply with quote

Well, I have finally got around to "playing" with draw. I promised myself I would do it soon and I am VERY impressed. Once again I find myself thinking "and this software is free?!?!
I am experimenting with using Draw to construct maps. I am starting with an aerial photgraph as a base map and then drawing lines, polgons etc as different layers to it, such as fences, management areas, drainage, bush etc. The power of this software is amazing.
I particularly like the way I can switch off layers for printing.
Which brings me to my question, is there an easy way to resize the whole picture? If I resize my bmp (aerial photo) then the lines I have drawn no longer match up to what is on the bmp.
Thanks in advance.
DannyB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is there an easy way to resize the whole picture? If I resize my bmp (aerial photo) then the lines I have drawn no longer match up to what is on the bmp.

I'm unclear on what you want to do.

If you just want everything to be larger, then select a bunch of objects, and then group them (Modify -> Group). Then resize them as a single object, either by clicking one of the corner handles and interactively resizing, or by precisely resizing through the Position and Size dialog (Format -> Position and Size).. For instance if you want your single object (actually a group of objects, your bmp and lines together) to be resized to exactly 1.9 times its original width, and 1.7 times its original height, then you could select the single grouped object, and Right-Click -> Position and Size, or Format -> Position and Size, or F4. Within the dialog, pick the Position and Size tab, then change the width and height to the width times 1.9, and the height times 1.7. You can type in precise numbers. After resizing, you might want to upgroup.

Does this solve your problem? Or am I perhaps trying to answer the wrong question?

Or perhaps, you are wanting the drawing to take up multiple pages?

If you like Draw, then be sure to see my sig below. Smile
pmccrackan
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Resizing everything Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for that tip, that sounds like it would do the job for me. I ended up mucking it all up and started again. this time I made sure my base map was the right size BEFORE I started adding to it. (ie: it fitted nicely onto an A4 page for easy printing)
I was having trouble though with selecting multiple objects, how do I do that? Can I do that from any layer sheet?
DannyB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was having trouble though with selecting multiple objects, how do I do that? Can I do that from any layer sheet?

Shift-click is your friend. (Hold down shift key, click on object to add it to selection, or remove it from selection.)

As far as I know, you can select objects in different layers, as long as they are visible.
pmccrackan
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: section of muliple objects Reply with quote

Oh, it's "shift" click, and there I was trying to use "ctrl: click. Silly me.
Thanks very much. Downloaded the power tools, great work.
marco75

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previously:
Quote:
Shift-click is your friend. (Hold down shift key, click on object to add it to selection, or remove it from selection.)
As far as I know, you can select objects in different layers, as long as they are visible.

I have a drawing with some wmf pictures in it. I can Shift-Click all I like, but it never selects more than two at most, before canceling the selection. I'm getting very frustrated. I try dragging a selection box, but that doesn't work either. Is there anything I can do? Any chance of having this part improved?

Also, having "add to selection" as Shift-Click runs bluntly against convention. Just about all the other programs (Windows Explorer, KDE Konqueror, Photoshop) use Ctrl+Click. Does MS Office use Shift-Click?

I don't understand the new toolbar customization dialog, in the old one I could just drag buttons onto the toolbar, now I have to manipulate two scrolling lists... but it's not too bad, I guess.
marco75

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: how to select multiple objects? Reply with quote

Previously:
Quote:

I have a drawing with some wmf pictures in it. I can Shift-Click all I like, but it never selects more than two at most, before canceling the selection. I'm getting very frustrated. I try dragging a selection box, but that doesn't work either. Is there anything I can do? Any chance of having this part improved?

Also, having "add to selection" as Shift-Click runs bluntly against convention. Just about all the other programs (Windows Explorer, KDE Konqueror, Photoshop) use Ctrl+Click. Does MS Office use Shift-Click?

I don't understand the new toolbar customization dialog, in the old one I could just drag buttons onto the toolbar, now I have to manipulate two scrolling lists... but it's not too bad, I guess.
------------------
anvilsoup
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragging a selection box should work, and so should shift-clicking. I just tried it, and it's working for me for multiple metafiles. It could be that the objects are all on top of each other, so every time you click you are selecting/deselecting them (click the same object twice and you'll select it then deselect it).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: