OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

US English Thesaurus

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
benedict1
General User
General User


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 7
Location: California

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: US English Thesaurus Reply with quote

The Thesaurus doesn't work in Writer on my machine. Cntrl+F7 causes Writer to crash. I run Windows XP Home, SP2. I also tried to update the dictionary and got an error message first, but then got a list of dictionaries to install, list of hyphenated dictionaries and various thesaurus copies. I only chose US versioins and according to Writer dialogue box, everything worked find.

Spellcheck and Autocorrect work just fine. It is the thesaurus that is messed up.

I have looked through the Forum for help but can only find UK thesaurus help, and mostly for Linux systems. If there is some help to get the US Thesaurus to work and not crash, I cannot find it.

Can anybody tell me how to fix this? I do not understand all the ins and outs of Open Office code, but I can follow instructions, I know where the Program files are, etc. I can cut and paste, etc.
_________________
Benedict1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate


Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: US English Thesaurus Reply with quote

benedict1 wrote:
The Thesaurus doesn't work in Writer on my machine. Cntrl+F7 causes Writer to crash. I run Windows XP Home, SP2. I also tried to update the dictionary and got an error message first, but then got a list of dictionaries to install, list of hyphenated dictionaries and various thesaurus copies. I only chose US versioins and according to Writer dialogue box, everything worked find.

Spellcheck and Autocorrect work just fine. It is the thesaurus that is messed up.

I have looked through the Forum for help but can only find UK thesaurus help, and mostly for Linux systems. If there is some help to get the US Thesaurus to work and not crash, I cannot find it.

Can anybody tell me how to fix this? I do not understand all the ins and outs of Open Office code, but I can follow instructions, I know where the Program files are, etc. I can cut and paste, etc.

I am running Windows XP SP2 and am currently running OpenOffice.org 2.0.2. I have no problem with the US thesasurus and I've never had a problem with any of the thesaurusus on any versions of OpenOffice.org where I've used them.

Use "Windows Explorer" to "My Computer" to access the folder where OpenOffice.org 2.0 is installed (probably C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0). Access the subfolders share \share\dict\ooo\ .

You should see the following files:
    en-US.aff
    en-US.dic
    hyph_en_US.dic
    th_en_US_v2.dat
    th_en_US_v2.idx
The two files beginning with "th" comprise your thesaurus.

Presuming this is Ok, then look for another file in the folder named dict.lst. Open if in a text editor and save under another name, say "dict.lst.bak" in order to keep its contents.

Then replace the contents of the file with:
Code:
# List of All Dictionaries to be Loaded by OpenOffice
# ---------------------------------------------------
# Each Entry in the list have the following space delimited fields
#
# Field 1: Entry Type "DICT" - spellchecking dictionary
#                     "HYPH" - hyphenation dictionary
#                     "THES" - thesaurus files
#
# Field 2: Language code from Locale "en" or "de" or "pt" ...
#
# Field 3: Country Code from Locale "US" or "GB" or "PT"
#
# Field 4: Root name of file(s) "en_US" or "hyph_de" or "th_en_US
#          (do not add extensions to the name)

DICT en US en_US
HYPH en US hyph_en_US
THES en US th_en_US_v2

Save it as "Dict.lst" overwriting the original file. (If it saves it as someting like "Dict.lst.txt", then delete the original "Dict.lst" which is now backed up and rename "Dict.lst.txt" to "Dict.lst".)

Close down OpenOffice.org including exiting Quckstarter. Start it up again. You will now have a system that should work, provided that neither th_en_US_v2.dat or th_en_US_v2.idx have become corrupted.

Also check Tools -> Options... -> Language -> Writing Aids and be sure that "Open Office.org New Thesaurus" is checked. Mouse-press the "Edit" button and for the language "English (USA)" make sure that a thesaurus appears in the larger box and that it is checked.


Last edited by Jallan on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
benedict1
General User
General User


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 7
Location: California

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I figured it out--it had to do with the botched dictionary update/error message. The updates to the thesaurus were corrupted. All is well now but I will save your post because it is a very clear expositioin on how to fix this should I run into the problem again.

Again, thank you. The real problem is why the dictionary update got messed up. I will pursue that from another angle.
_________________
Benedict1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group