OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Deleting pages containing tables from a file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Weir
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Deleting pages containing tables from a file Reply with quote

I have a large file, each page of which is a table. I have been trying to break the file down into files with each file containing just one page/table. Writer doesn't seem to want to let me do it. It will allow me to delete the contents of a table, but only one table/page at a time. ccasionally I'm able to delete an empty table, but most of the time I cannot. When I'm able to, I have no idea why I was able to do so that time and not others.

If I load the file into Word, I can select all pages but the one I want to save and then delete the entire selection.

How do I do this in Writer?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA, USA
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Deleting tables is still a pain in Open Office. No problem if there is a paragraph before it, but otherwise not possible. The solution is to put the cursor in the first cell before any text, and press enter. Then you can delete the table, and subsequent tables too, if you wish.

Nested tables are especially awkward to cut and paste. See my tips page.
Westland
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhikku Pesala wrote:
Quote:
Deleting tables is still a pain in Open Office. No problem if there is a paragraph before it, but otherwise not possible

I have View > Toolbars > Table checked, which means that when I'm editing a table a get a new window. On this "Table" window I have all possible buttons visible (they are not so many...)

This makes it very easy to delete a table. Takes only 3 Clicks:

1 - Click inside the table you want to delete
2 - Click on the "select table" button - blue icon on Table window
3 - Click on delete row (or delete column) button - icons with one red stripe

that's it. Wink

If you have a nested table inside the top left cell, you need to repeat the process twice.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That is a good solution to Eric's question.

I just discovered that the easiest way to select the entire table is by pointing here with the mouse. It only works from the top left corner.

Select and drag across the tops of the columns is also very easy.

If you can, please tell me an easier way than this to cut a table and paste it somewhere else — surely a common enough requirement.
Westland
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
f you can, please tell me an easier way than this to cut a table and paste it somewhere else — surely a common enough requirement.

I don't know any easier method. I usually select the entire table, Copy-Paste it and then go back, select the original table and delete it. I also would find usefull a quicker way to cut-paste entire tables.

Nested table: The table selection doesn't work in the same way if you have a nested table on the top left corner: it only selects the inner table. If the nested table is on another cell, you just need to click in a different cell a select the entire table.

I like the table selection buttons (blue* icons on the table window), because they work well with large tables, spreading through several pages, without the need to go back, to the first line, to make the selections

* they were Black, on OOo version 1.x
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navigator can also help to copy and delete tables:

To copy a table to a new file, set the drag mode in the Navigator to "Insert as copy", then select the entire table and drag it to the new file. Another way to select the entire table is to place the cursor in the first cell, then hold down the Shift key and use the arrow keys to expand the selection to the entire table.

To delete a table, right click on the table name in the Navigator and select Table>Delete.
Eric Weir
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded to my request for help with deleting tables. I'll be checking them out. For now, as i understand it on the basis of a cursory reading, it is not possible to select a range of tables? You have to do it one at a time?

The file with which I encountered this difficulty has several tables -- in the neighborhood of 30. I'm trying to break it down into 30+/- files. I Word, I can select all the files but one, delete them, go back to the original, etc., etc.

I guess another way to do it woud be to copy each table to a separate file. Then delete the entire file.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

Eric Weir wrote:
For now, as i understand it on the basis of a cursory reading, it is not possible to select a range of tables? You have to do it one at a time?

You can select a range of paragraphs or pages containing tables, and delete them all at once, but you cannot control+click to select multiple tables (or other objects) in Open Office as you can in some programs. To select the first table in the range, the cursor must be in the paragraph before the table.
Eric Weir
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have View > Toolbars > Table checked, which means that when I'm editing a table a get a new window. On this "Table" window I have all possible buttons visible (they are not so many...)

This makes it very easy to delete a table. Takes only 3 Clicks:

1 - Click inside the table you want to delete
2 - Click on the "select table" button - blue icon on Table window
3 - Click on delete row (or delete column) button - icons with one red stripe

Thanks. When I first checked the table toolbar, I didn't find the select table button. Going to customize, I found that it hadn't been checked.

Anyway, your method works for me -- except only one table at a time. The file I'm working with is a collection of tables -- a header and a table on each page, nothing else. Is there a way within your method to select multiple tables? E.g., in my file, all tables but the first?

Thanks in advance.
Eric Weir
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered that the easiest way to select the entire table is by pointing here with the mouse. It only works from the top left corner.

Thanks, Bikkhu. I am able to select a table, even a range of tables -- though at a certain point Writer stops selecting, even though there may be additional tables on subsequent pages that I want to select. However, having selected them doing a delete doesn't delete the table[s], only the contents.

Having selected [a] table[s] by your method, is there a way to delete the table, not just the contents?

Thanks in advance,
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, you cannot select multiple tables in Open Office, but you can select a range of paragraphs or pages containing tables. Then you can delete them all with the delete key. Perhaps your tables are not separate tables, but just broken with a page break. Then you can use the delete rows button on the Table toolbar to delete the rows.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

Eric Weir wrote:
I guess another way to do it woud be to copy each table to a separate file. Then delete the entire file.

I think that's the fastest and easiest way to do it. If you copy a document with 30 tables 30 times then delete 29 tables from each copy, that's 870 tables to delete one at a time. I wouldn't even consider trying to do that.
Eric Weir
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
As I said, you cannot select multiple tables in Open Office, but you can select a range of paragraphs or pages containing tables. Then you can delete them all with the delete key.

Thanks again, Bikkhu. Each page in this file contains a copy of the same table. Only the content is different. Each page also contains a header.

I am able to select multiple tables/pages -- though not, as I said, all that I might want to; Writer seems to have a limit on how many can be selected -- but having selected them, I' not able to get delete to delete the tables, only the content. Am I overlooking something?

I may be beating this issue to death. I have a couple solutions, the one Westland suggested, involving use of the select table button on the table toolbar, and my own of copying the tables to separate files, then deleting the original file.

So if you choose to let my question pass, I'll understand. I am curious, thought.

Thanks in advance,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: