OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Using OpenOffice with Firebird Database & JDBC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsoneil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Using OpenOffice with Firebird Database & JDBC Reply with quote

There is an excellent article (PDF) detailing how to connect OOo to the Firebird Open Source database via JDBC. It can be found at www.hexeon.ca or directly at: http://www.hexeon.ca/pdf/OOoFBvp.pdf
knowe
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks very useful. I don't know much about firebird but it seems to be gaining in popularity. Is JDBC the only supported way of connecting to a firebird database from OOo?
dsoneil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Other Connection Methods Reply with quote

I know that there are a couple of ODBC drivers available, some commercial some open source. The Open Source ODBC driver (found at www.ibpheonix.com) is not quite mature yet and has given me some headaches. The JDBC driver works very well and has a good news group for support.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Link to article is dead Reply with quote

Does anybody know, where this http://www.hexeon.ca/pdf/OOoFBvp.pdf document has gone?

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: OOo & FB Doc Reply with quote

Hello,

The document can now be found here:

http://www.methyl.ca/pdf/OOoFBvp.pdf

I will be updating this document in the coming weeks to reflect the release of OOo 1.1 and Firebird 1.5 (once it's released). Also there is an updated JDBC driver.

If you have any suggestions or comments for the document please let me know.

Thanks,

Darcy O'Neil
GraemeWi
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experimented with OOo and Firebird via JDBC.

I could not get it working under my Win98 environment until i changed the \\ to / in the url.

So my datasource url became:
Code:
firebirdsql:localhost/3050:c:/Program Files/Firebird/examples/Employee.gdb

I can now create new tables in OOo, but can't add data. Anyway I gues I need to experiment some more.... Quite happy with MySQL but interested in other options.

Cheers,

G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowe wrote:
This looks very useful. I don't know much about firebird but it seems to be gaining in popularity. Is JDBC the only supported way of connecting to a firebird database from OOo?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Setup problem Reply with quote

Not sure if this list is still active, but I had some problems with this setup, I am using Windows XP, and I have Firebird running (I was able to connect using python, although I did not have much luck using SQuirreL as a client app).

After installing and adding the .jar fines to that classpath, I tried to add a new Data Source using JDBC, but it only wants to let me att a MySQL database.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
jobinau

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connecting to Open Office from firebird is a cool stuff.
We can have either JDBC or ODBC. here is a tutorial prepared to show how to do that.
http://jobinau.googlepages.com/OOFB.htm[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: