OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

What can be improved, in Base?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What can be improved?
Import / Export Filters
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
On-line help
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Other
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 13

DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: What can be improved, in Base? Reply with quote

go ahead and post messages on the subject and I will try to summarize at the end of 10 days.

I have noticed that one of the Sun technical writers has been looking for feedback on how Base is currently being used. I am moving over the questions he is asking to the forum. Eventually I will summarize the results and report them back to the same person via the discuss@openoffice.org list server.

EDIT - sorry, I really should have added more options above - but please do take the time to offer your opinions here. I will tally all of the items folks mention.

Last edited by DrewJensen on Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lazy-legs
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, Base needs:

1. The ability to store macros in Base files.
2. Faster search, especially in large Base files.
3. The ability to add binary data (files, not pictures) without actually writing a dedicated macro.
4. Native (built-in) MySQL driver, so you don't have to download, install, and configure any third-party software.

Kind regards,
Dmitri
pierdeux
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazy-legs wrote:
4. Native (built-in) MySQL driver, so you don't have to download, install, and configure any third-party software.

I don't know if that's really realistic. (I would rather push for PostgreSQL myself... Wink )

But in any case, I would agree that there is a need for sturdier and more flexible drivers (including the ones currently available: JDBC, ODBC, SDBC, etc.).
rnelson
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: base - far less dissapointment Reply with quote

Base simply needs to crash less and loose a lot less data when it does crash

It should save to disk when it says it saves to disk (currently it does not, and a lot of data would be at risk.)

I've given up on it - it will not get my work done as it is.

currently we have to close the base doc completely to get it to save to disk, and the document recoverly does not work properly.

People should be ware, and be careful, and don't depend on Base until it is fixed properly.

MySQL works wonderfully and does not loose data when OOo crashes.

Peace,

r
Corfy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me be honest and say that I am still very much of a database newb. I did take a 4-day class back in December on Microsoft Access, so the general concepts are familiar to me, but not much beyond that.

I have also not touched Access since my class.

I have been trying to write a database for work. I picked one that should have been fairly simple but give me a good idea on how to work with Base... a good database to cut my teeth on, so to speak. (Although I hope to branch out int a couple bigger personal databases.)

The first problem I had was importing the data. All of my dates were off by two days. Since the dates were one-half of the data I was trying to import, that would was a bit of a problem. I finally solved it by using Calc to subtract two dates off each entry.

I have no problem with the Query builder other than the fact I didn't realize I had to have an SQL button clicked when I was working on editing the query codes directly, so they didn't work for a long time.

For the most part, I have no problem with Writer being used as the report writer in Base, but there are a lot of simple concepts that I know Access, Paradox, and report programs like Crystal Reports can do that seem to be beyond the capability of Writer (summaries for groups, for example). I recently discovered I have to get around that by using queries. That is fine, but it would have been nice to know that ahead of time. I also have not figured out how to write a report for one query and then copy the report and switch the query it is based on. Maybe I just haven't found that yet.

All-in-all, better documentation would probably help out considerably with this process, especially learning what can and can not be done with Base. Searching through forums can be tedious, especially if you don't use the right wording (or the people making the original posts don't use the right wording). The people on the forums have been really helpful in answering my questions, no matter how dumb they might be.

I have also seen this a lot on the forums, but the ability to open a Database and have it automatically open a given Form would be helpful, too.

I hope I'm not being nit-picky, but I have to believe that if I am having these problems, then others are having the same problems. If I am wrong about that, then just ignore me. Laughing
Sembazuru
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Usefull Addition Reply with quote

In addition to bug-fixes, better in/exports, etc. Here are a couple ideas I had while making a multi-many table in the native HSQLdb:

1) When using the Table Wizard, not only have canned sample databases to pull field structures from, but also allow to pull field structures from different tables in the current db (and possibly from any other 'registered' database).
2) Some way (other than by screen-shot) be able to print table structures, relationship trees, SQL query structures, etc.

Just some thoughts. For reference, I'm using OOo2.0.2 on WinXP.
wahur
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) making multiuser access to native db possible
2) improved support for MySQL/PostgreSQL - like ability to use views/queries for entering data, improved data types compatibility (currently there are many conflicts between Base&MySQL5), relations editing for MySQL, tons of other smaller issues
3) Lets face it, one major attraction of Base is the ability to build an interface to db without jumping into real programming stuff. No need to learn php or C++ for firing up simple data entry forms, and only some relatively simple macros needed to do much much more. Improving this area without making it too sophisticated is a challenge. I am really waiting for some simple macro libraries with short documentation on how to customize them for ones specific needs.
4) Last but not least - stability, stability, stability. But I guess it comes with time.

Wahur, OOo user since early betas
Seb33300
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improve the report wizard to make easyli better reports
keithrw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: how about fixing the listbox? Reply with quote

It currently needs to be added, converting to one doesn't work.

And there's no way to add it to a table column.

I realize it's a work in progress, but each time you run into one of these issues, it takes a long time to figure out the limitation/workaround.

Thanks
DrewJensen
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: how about fixing the listbox? Reply with quote

keithrw wrote:
It currently needs to be added, converting to one doesn't work.

And there's no way to add it to a table column.

I realize it's a work in progress, but each time you run into one of these issues, it takes a long time to figure out the limitation/workaround.

Thanks

Keithw

I am not sure what you mean in the first sentence above?
Corfy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: how about fixing the listbox? Reply with quote

DrewJensen wrote:

Keithw

I am not sure what you mean in the first sentence above?

If you notice, Keithw changed the subject line for his reply to "how about fixing the listbox?"
r4zoli
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Faster bug resolving process. I'm not a coder- I can not solve anything. ( I posted one bug on 1.9m95 and was repaired in 2.0.2 version its seems to me - too long. )

2. More documentation, help content - on SQL, on queries and reports, understandable to new users, or link to more detailed information.

3. Sample databases with full of features and data(!), to show and help understand Base capabilities. (free macros in action)

4. Multi access to Base file.

Zoltan
BookLady
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Base seems to be a case of you have to know how to do it before you can do it. A more thorough explanation of [i[Drivers[/i] and SQL is really neaded for those who are new to the whole game. The whole documentation thing needs lots of work. Oh well, there doesn't seem to be any program that has good help files.

Search Speed is a real problem. Actually looking at all 40k entries as they go zipping by on screen is not a productive way to spend time.
InSa
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a teacher and have used Base in my classes this last year with variable success.
A lot of what I miss is already mentioned here, but my whishes are:
- Possibility for saving macros in base files
- Built- in macros for most used actions, like open a form or a report
- easier (maybe built-in macros) validation in forms
- and last but not least, a much better report wizard

regards Ingrid
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More and better Wizards.
Automate coding for oft repeated tasks.
"Switchboard" utility (like that other database program has).

Basically I think the whole program needs to be more user friendly. Use Access as a model - that's the level us Windoze drones are used to. I don't have a problem with Base being different (for instance I think it's a good idea to use Writer to create reports) - but we should work towards it being no more difficult to use than Access. (or Paradox - I've never used it so I don't know).

(Yes, I'm aware that Base is close to version 0.1, and given time to mature it will improve)

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: