OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

MacBook Pro install
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astoria

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: MacBook Pro install Reply with quote

I cannot get Open Office to install on my new macbook pro. any suggestions?
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that with an Intel (aka x86) CPU? While I know they are working on it, there has been no OpenOffice.org stable release for Intel Mac yet.

I think this guy has been doing a lot of work on OOo Mac:
http://eric.bachard.free.fr/news/

In particular, read this post:
http://eric.bachard.free.fr/news/2006/01/it-works-even-if-work-is-not-finished.html
astoria

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is the new duo core.
thanks for your reply and the links.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked, and the MacBooks use Intel (aka x86) CPUs and not the PowerPPC (aka PPC) CPUs, so all the "old" or "normal" Mac OS X program do not run yet.

Anyway, here are some more links:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/
ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/SRC680_m156/ (Feb 13 alpha build)
Seahorse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here. My reading is that there is now a version that will run on an Intel-based MacBook Pro - OpenOffice.org 2.0 for Mac OS X (X11).

But if I install it and try to run it I get a message saying that it's an executable script saved as an application.

I'm a PC nerd but a Mac newbie. My guess is that this is because X11 isn't installed - but when I try to install X11 (downloaded) it tells me that there is a newer version already installed - presumably came with the MacBook Pro?

Can anyone help? I really need to get OpenOffice running if there's a working version available!

Thanks...

Adam
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seahorse wrote:
Same problem here. My reading is that there is now a version that will run on an Intel-based MacBook Pro - OpenOffice.org 2.0 for Mac OS X (X11).

There is a version that runs on Intel, but it's not ready. You can still try it, though.

Also, I only see files with PPC on the link you posted. PPC means PowerPC which is the kind of CPU you don't have, so PPC won't work on your system.
Seahorse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and advice. I understood from this page that 'OpenOffice.org Mac OS X (X11)' has 'Support for Intel based Macs' - but maybe I'm misunderstanding what that means!

You say I can try an unready version. Are you able to point me towards the version I should be trying?

Thanks again!
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on second ericb link I posted in this thread. Then, click on"OpenOffice.org site." You should see some .dmg files with "x86", and x86 is the kind of CPU you have (as oppposed to PPC). Try the one with the newest date. Also, "en" is for English while "fr" is for French.
Seahorse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again. And I have finally found the problem that was preventing me running it. For the benefit of any other Mac newbies: you need to have X11 installed and this does not come pre-installed on the MacBook Pro.

It is however available on the installation disks that come with the computer, though wasn't where I first looked. Inset Mac OS X Install Disk 1, open Optional Installs and, when you get to the selection screen, open Applications and select X11. If you've already installed OpenOffice, it's OK to install X11 afterwards.

The good news is that I now have an apparently fully-functional version of OpenOffice 2.0 running on my MacBook Pro. Thanks, ahz, for your advice.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got it working, and I know they are working on a version that does not require X11. The new version will use Aqua or Carbon (I forget which buzz word--I don't use Macs), and it will look and feel much more like a Mac application. For example, the following recent blog entry from an OOo developer shows a baby step towards that goal:

http://blog.janik.cz/archives/2006/03/05/T13_47_13/
transco
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Intel iMac. I also tried installing a copy of X11User from the Mac web site, but it said I had a later version already installed. The build of OpenOffice I am trying to install is 'OOo2.02rc420060311_MacOSXIntel_en-US.dmg'. When I try to run it, it will appear in the Dock for a few seconds, then disappears (no error message). Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. I am a new Mac user, so it may be I'm just missing a step.

Last edited by transco on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transco, not sure but...

1. Read these FAQs
http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/FAQ_for_OO.oX11_2.0RC3
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/faq.php
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/FAQ_Openoffice.org_and_NeoOffice
2. Ask Mac users here:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums
mac@porting.openoffice.org
transco
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved. The build of OpenOffice was good. Unfortunately I hadn't installed X11 properly. Once that was fixed, it took right off.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. Now, I am curious how well the Intel version of OpenOffice.org works since it's so new and hasn't been tested much.
transco
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using:

OOo_2.0.2rc420060311MacOSXIntek_en-US.dmg

So far most everything I've tried to do with it has worked. The only strange thing I've seen so far is when accessing the 'Edit' menu in Writer. It spreads itself across both screens (Intel iMac with second monitor), and off the edges of both. I also have not figured out how to access files on other than the system drive. All my word processor files are either on attaced external drives or on the NAS. So far no luck getting OO to access them.

I do a lot of web site stuff and my current project is to find some way of using a very large clipart library (in Corel Draw's '.ccx' and 'cdr' format) with Open Office. Ideal would be a cdr / ccx to svg (or whatever scaleable vector graphics format that OO understands) batch converter, but I haven't been able to locate one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: