OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

new users need to get my new default template

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob_39
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: new users need to get my new default template Reply with quote

Hi all

I've changed my default template and that's working well.

If I want to put this on the server so everyone has the new default template where do I put it and what if anything needs changing?

I want all new users created to get the new default template so where do I have to put it and what if anything needs changing?

Robyn
Jallan
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: new users need to get my new default template Reply with quote

rob_39 wrote:
If I want to put this on the server so everyone has the new default template where do I put it and what if anything needs changing?

I want all new users created to get the new default template so where do I have to put it and what if anything needs changing?

I'm puzzled. Why would most users want to use your default template or my default template or anyone else's default template, for either Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, or HTML documents in place of the internal settings.

Let's take Writer alone.

Not all of us want the same language settings. Even users of English prefer different versions of English for their default language settings.

Different users want the main window to come up in different modes and different zoom settings.

Internal settings in respect to default fonts are different in any case for versions intended for particular operating systems, depending on what fonts can be expected to be almost always found on those particular operating systems.

(And some prefer other fonts to the default Times Roman variants and Helvetica/Arial in any case.)

Not all of us want the same margin settings in the page styles. Some of us want kerning enabled in most styles and some do not. Some prefer that the following paragraph after Heading 1 defaults to Heading 2, not to Body Text, and so on for many of the other headings.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take is that the OP is the administrator in an office, setting up a default letterhead template for users on the network. How would you copy the default template to other PCs either via a network, or by other means?. On my PC the default template is in:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\template\

My guess is that you simply copy that file to other PCs. For XP users or multiple users on the same PC the location may be different.
rob_39
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying

More info from me - In our community centre there is a server where everyone gets their desktops from remotely as it's a thin client environment. When a new user is created everything is setup for them on this server

I know to put things in user/template on my machine at home is there anything else I have to do on other machines to make it their default template at home.

In Linux when a new user is made on a server the server install of OO sets them up their .openoffice directory in their /home directory. Where on the server do I put my template so all new users get it as their default template and are their any other files that need changing on the server?

Please ask for more clarification if needed and thanks

Robyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: