OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

2 Newbie Qestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writer47
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: 2 Newbie Qestions Reply with quote

I just started using Writer due to printing problems with Word and it's great!

I just have 2 simple questions:

1) Is there a hot-key that allows you to jump between open documents. In Word, this was done with CTRL-F6.

2. Is it possible to copy a Carriage Return?

The reason I do this (and maybe someone can suggest an alternate way) is that as I create brochures and other promotional materials, I have the need to change the spacing between paragraphs very often.

In Word, I usually just format the Carriage Return, then copy it. Whenever I need that particular space between paragraphs, I just paste it in wherever it's needed, often replacing the Carriage Return that's already there. That way I don't have to format the paragraph spacing every time.

Sorry if this was confusing. Let me know if I need to explain it better.

Thank you in advance.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Newbie Qestions Reply with quote

writer47 wrote:
1) Is there a hot-key that allows you to jump between open documents. In Word, this was done with CTRL-F6.

1. Windows has the task bar with open documents listed click there to go to a new open document [or any other program/file.]

2. Do you mean copy/paste? I did, and can in version 2. ...but why?

David.
jeanweber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Newbie Qestions Reply with quote

writer47 wrote:

Alt+Tab does that in OOo.

writer47 wrote:

The reason I do this (and maybe someone can suggest an alternate way) is that as I create brochures and other promotional materials, I have the need to change the spacing between paragraphs very often.

In Word, I usually just format the Carriage Return, then copy it. Whenever I need that particular space between paragraphs, I just paste it in wherever it's needed, often replacing the Carriage Return that's already there. That way I don't have to format the paragraph spacing every time.

You can do the same thing in OOo. However, I recommend you look into using paragraph styles instead. You could have several styles for different spacings and apply the one you need to a paragraph.

See Chapter 6, "Introduction to Styles" in the Writer Guide, available here: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0206WG-IntroductionToStyles.pdf
writer47
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ALT-Tab advice. Using the mouse on the taskbar works well for me too.

Regarding the copying/pasting of Carriage Returns, I thought my explanation was confusing; I'll try to explain a little better here.

I do one particular weekly newsletter that has many paragraphs. The amount of content varies , so I find that I have to vary the space between paragraphs to get evrything to fit or look right.

For example, let's say I have 3 one-line paragraphs like below.

Line 1

Line 2

Line 3

I might need to change the spacing beween Lines 1 & 2 and between lines 2 & 3 and let's say the spacing needs to be 7 points for both. What I have been doing in Word, and I find it very quick and convenient, is to select the Carriage Return between Lines 1 & 2, and format the spacing to 7 points. I then copy that Carriage Return. Now I have a 7 point spacing whenever I need it. To change the spacing between Lines 2 & 3, I just highlight the Carriage Return between them, hit CTRL-V, and the 7 point spacing gets pasted in over the existing spacing.

I usually need to do this many times, so I think this is easier than choosing styles - but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I know how to copy/paste but my main question is: How to select the Carriage Return in OOo? Double clicking on the Carriage Return worked in Word, but I can't seem to select just the Carriage Return in OOo. It's probably a matter of using the mouse differently in OOo.

Thanks again for the great advice and fast reply.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With cursor before, Shift+Right or Down Arrow.

On the other hand this is an excellent place to use styles and a template. Here's what I would do.

Open new doc which will, by default, use the Default paragraph style. Do Insert > Section and click into the section. Open the Stylist (F11), click last icon to right, select New Style From Selection. Neme it 7, right click 7 > Modify > Indents & Spacing tab and set the line spacing. Ok out, if 7 isn't selected click it twice apply to the current paragraph. Tap Enter and repeat for 10, 12, etc.

Close Stylist, open Navigator (F5), open Sections, right click Section 1 > Edit > Hide and OK out. All applied paragraph styles are now readily available to you in the Applied Style box to the left of the 2nd toolbar. Select one and it will be applied to the current paragraph.

Save doc as your newspaper template. Of course lots of other stuff can also be saved in the template.

Did you know that you can link frames in OOo so that you can start a story on page 1 and continue it on page X? Edits will flow as necessary from one frame to the other.

Last edited by JohnV on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeanweber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

writer47 wrote:
I usually need to do this many times, so I think this is easier than choosing styles - but I could be wrong.

For me it would be faster and easier to choose a style, but that's probably because I'm used to doing it that way. Your way would drive me nuts. Smile

To select the carriage return, place the cursor just before the paragraph marker, hold down the Shift key, and press the right-arrow key once. If you prefer to use the mouse, you can place the cursor just before the paragraph marker, hold down the Shift key, and click just before the first character of the next paragraph. Or you can drag the cursor to just before the first character of the next paragraph.

I prefer to use the keyboard when I can, because I have difficulty using the mouse... nothing to do with OOo.
writer47
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, John and Jean!

Since it looks like Word's days on my system are rapidly coming to an end, I'm going to start learning to use OOo's tools - using styles is priority 1.

Thanks for your wonderful help - this is really an unbelievably great start with a new program. I wish I could get this type of support from much of my commercial software.

Thanks again.

W.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: