OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

EPS image: coarse rendered!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fabiuccio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: EPS image: coarse rendered! Reply with quote

Hello folks!

I am experimenting OOo 1.1, and I noticed that when I import an eps image, it is very bad
redered on the screen (which is rather normal, as what one gets is just the eps preview, not the actual image) and the same very bad rendering is obtained by printing,
as if OOo does not take into account the actual postscript code in the eps.

How can this be avoided?
how to improve the print rendering of eps images?

Many thanx!
ftack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPS files will only print properly on a postscript printer. Otherwise, it's the bitmap preview (if any) that gets printed. Don't panic now if you do not have a postscript printer Wink If you don't, you need Ghostscript. Ghostscritp accepts postscript and will interpret that in a language your printer will understand. You could manually create a postscript file by printing from your application with a postscript driver to a file. Then, you'd print the postscript to your printer using Ghostscript.

The process can be automated, though. Under Windows, you need Redmon besides Ghostscript. Redmon allows you to create a printerport that can redirect printed output from a program to another program such as ghostscript, such that the proces can be entirely automated (just "print" to the newly configured port). The Redmon helpfiles contain detailed, step by step instructions on how to set this up (and also on how to set up a high quality PDF writer! I even have a PNG writer, that allows me to produce high-res bitmaps from any application!).

Under Linux, the printing already works on that principle by default! Linux printing is by default based on postscript, which is redirected to ghostscript, that in turn sends it to your printer in a language that your printer understands.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftack wrote:
EPS files will only print properly on a postscript printer. Otherwise, it's the bitmap preview (if any) that gets printed.

OK, I checked with the PS printer I have access to, and the EPS is printed correctly.
On the other non-PS, the EPS is coarse as usual...

But this issue is a quite big problem when releasing PDF versions of the documents.
In fact, the PDF conversion seems not to occur through a PS intermediate step (topic discussed in a thread in this forum, some days ago), and no PS command is executed.

As a result, the EPS image has the same ugly rendering as on the preview!

Fixups?
MGL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: How can I use ghostscript in Ooo? Reply with quote

The quality of EPS image in PDF converted files is worse than the same ghostscript converted image.

Can I use directly ghostscript commands in Ooo to create PDF instead of the standard converter?

Please, fix it fastly.

Thankx, BoB
ftack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Can I use directly ghostscript commands in Ooo to create PDF instead of the standard converter? "

Yes, you can. Under Linux, use the spadmin program to create a top quality PDF printer. The manual included with the installation files instructs how. Under Windows, use Redmon to create a new printerport that can send postscript data to Ghostscript. The Redmon help file explains in detail how. For an easier-to-install solution, look for the open source project "PDFcreator" at sourceforge.net. This is a program that automatically sets up a printer port connected to ghostscript. After installation, PDF creation is as simple as selecting "PDF Writer" as the printer and printing to it. Under Windows, you can suddenly create PDF's from any program. Under Linux, it must also be possible to set that up, but I am not enough experienced.
MGL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Doing it in OOo is better! Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer,

I already use the common PDF conversions in Linux (at home) and in Windows (at work). The PDF conversion function introduced in OOo 1.1 is more confortable and smart than those procedures but it fails with EPS picture enbedded.

If the developers can fix it, OOo can give an addictional function for Office users.

Regards, BoB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: