OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Saving files is very slow...why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesun
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Saving files is very slow...why? Reply with quote

Hi...I am confused about why my FC5 version of Open Office is taking so long to save its files. I have the autosave feature turned on and (I'm a writer) it saves the info every minute. However (I'm using OO2.0.1) it is extremely slow saving the file...and, much like Windoze, I can't use the system while it's saving. I have only a 100 page document...I can't imagine the annoyance that a 200 or 300 page novel would cause.

What's the problem, why is it so slow, and what (if anything) can be done about it? I really don't want to move the autosave to anything greater than a few minutes, either, though I realize that's an option. I have the "make backup copy" option turned on. I have tried both the .odt and .doc formats; both seem pretty slow.

Thank you for any help or suggestions. Confused
thesun
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: A follow up... Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, this slowness is only for the timed autosave, not for the regular save (if I click "Save"). Clicking on the "Save" button results in a quick, zippy save. It's only the autosave that is frustratingly and distractingly slow...

Thanks for any and all help!!
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A follow up... Reply with quote

thesun wrote:
Interestingly enough, this slowness is only for the timed autosave, not for the regular save (if I click "Save"). Clicking on the "Save" button results in a quick, zippy save. It's only the autosave that is frustratingly and distractingly slow...

Thanks for any and all help!!

I have autosave turned on and it doesn't seem to be inordinately slow, but I'm using 2.0.2 on Win2K. Would you be willing to install the newer version to see if it's equally slow?

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
zteknofreak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: slow saves. Reply with quote

i too have this problem. running oo 2.0.2 on winxpsp2 on a 1.8gig single proc with 2gig of ram. it definitely shouldn't take the 3-4 minutes it does to save a 25 page doc. i've made every effort to keep my formatting as basic as possible.

let me know what other info you would like and i'll be sure to post it here.
9point9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What file format are you using? The file itself could probably be made more efficient by using styles throughout. Does it have many images in it? You could improve the speed of saving by trying to optimise the size of the images. Have a look at the thread in my siggy for some ideas on how to do this.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
zteknofreak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see thats just the thing. the doc has one small black and white image in it in the header for each page. formatting has been deliberately been kept to a minimum.

i use: default, bold with grey background [for headings], bullets, and numbering. bullets are the same character for all levels, [eg, not the default circle, empty circle, square, etc as you move through the levels] and numbering which i have tweaked to look like 1.1.1.1.1 etc.

will take a look at the thread you mention when i have a free moment today. thanks!
thesun
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Saving speed... Reply with quote

I'm using 2.0.1 on Fedora Core 5 and am not sure I'm willing to install 2.0.2 unless there's a reasonable assurance that it's going to fix the problem. My issue is really that there is something _majorly_ different between the saving process that occurs when one manually clicks the "Save" button and the automatic save that's timed to save every X minutes. In my case, it's the automatic save that's unbearably slow. The regular save (when I click "Save") zips through in a flash.

I've temporarily decided it's best to just do autosave every 15 minutes and try to click manually whenever I remember to. But it's clear that the autosave has some processes going on in the background (compression? document formatting?) that the normal Save doesn't. I suspect those background processes are what's causing the huge delay.
9point9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Saving speed... Reply with quote

thesun wrote:
I'm using 2.0.1 on Fedora Core 5 and am not sure I'm willing to install 2.0.2 unless there's a reasonable assurance that it's going to fix the problem.

There have been some minor changes in file save times between the two versions but I don't think you'll get anything that drastic. I think it's worth trying if you have the bandwidth though.

Are you OK with running without an autosave? If you pull up a terminal and run top, what happens to the processor and mem usage during the time when an autosave happens?

thesun wrote:
But it's clear that the autosave has some processes going on in the background (compression? document formatting?) that the normal Save doesn't.

The compression will be the same, what else happens could be it. Slow file access can be as a result of networking. OOo seems prone to slowdowns in this way. Where is OOo running from? Where is your home directory?

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
nova
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stupid hint:

As the main importance in document has data (in Writer this is text), it is possible to copy-paste the text to a blank windows Notebook and save it as .txt.

It is also possible to write macro for such operation, to save text every minute.

Complete saving could be done every 15 minutes or so.
zteknofreak

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: i have figured something out! Reply with quote

this week i took things super slow and saved after every minor edit. the document saves at a very nice pace until the inclusion of an external link:

\\foo.com\Shares\Group_Shares\foo\System9\foo_9.0.1.1.0\Windows\foo_9.0.1.1.0_Install_Files\foo90110_windows_en.exe

upon the inclusion of this path, which is really me just stating that i'm running this executable, the save times go from 3 sec to 1-2 min. my assumption is that the more links like these i have the longer it takes. when i do installs for my clients and they want everything on network drives there are a number of these in my document. oo nicely formats them into a link for me, but this seems to cause the problem. this week i have almost a full doc, full of these links, but i have made sure to go back, right click, and select 'default formatting', which keeps my save times to a minimum.

what is it doing in the save process? trying to access this file or something? the laptop on wich i am writing the doc is not connected to the network on which the link points, so it would never have found it.

hope this helps others track down their saving woes.
anon.
.alex.

===========================================
unix: because rebooting is for adding new hardware
nova
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not useful yet, but interesting:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=36012
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: