OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Graphical objects in MSWord documents
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eugene
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Graphical objects in MSWord documents Reply with quote

When I open some files created with MSWord in OOo Writer, some graphical objects (not all) are displayed as an empty rectangular areas without any pictures. But when opened with MSWord such files show all pictures.
Does exist any way to make OOo Writer work properly in such circumstances?
Thank you.
Westland
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...some graphical objects (not all) are displayed as an empty rectangular areas without any pictures...

I'm not sure, but I think that Writer can't import, for instance, WMF graphics that include vector information.

If you don't understand what "vector" means, check: http://www.prepressure.com/image/bitmapvector.htm
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is that those graphics are not graphics at all, but OLE objects. OOo have some problems with OLE objects generated by MSOffice.
Eugene
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what I (and not only I) have to do with such files? Do I must have Windows and MSO in my computer as a crutch for OOo?
Westland
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But what I (and not only I) have to do with such files? Do I must have Windows and MSO in my computer as a crutch for OOo?

No, but you (and not only you Wink ) must realize that graphic formats can be a complicated issue. Example: I think that Word can't open EPS files, the professional graphics format. Are you complaining ?

I understand that it "feels good" to express your feelings, but its probably more efective to state only the "facts". We didn't create OOo. This is a user forum, after all Very Happy
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugene wrote:

There are simply some things that Word does that have no equivalency in other programs. That's why it's proprietary software. The computer world was originally designed competitively, not cooperatively, and we're all paying for those growing pains now. It's not yet possible to make completely and transparently compatible programs. Future technologies and future marketing strategies may change that, but for now, we need to understand that we must work around the differences.

For example, I understand that Word headers and footers can't import into Writer becase Word's header and footer methodology is entirely different (different from just about everyone's, I'd guess). Writer uses page styles for these, which is a much more efficient and controllable approach than Word's, a great improvement in my opinion, but one that unfortunately can't map to Word's, yet.

Do I drop OOo because of this? No, but I do recognize that the work flow may be different. If it's necessary to put the headers and footers in the Writer version, I use a free Word reader to view the document original, and recreate its headers and footers in newly defined page styles in my OOo template... I then use Writer to open the Word file, apply the page style(s) and move on.

If you're returning the file to the Word user in Word format, they're not usually needed in Writer, since you're making content changes and the headers and footers would be stripped in the returned doc, anyway. You might create something simple like page numbering in OOo, to keep track of page numbers and references, but (unless this part of the workflow is already understood on both sides) you would need to notify the recipient to re-insert their headers and footers.

So, the long answer to your short question lies in your workflow, in your environment, and in the expectations of you and your clients or coworkers. Nobody but you can answer the question of whether you need a copy of Word. It depends on your needs and your incentive. It depends on your level of understanding. It depends on your creativity. (Personally, I'm happy that there is a software that can open Word in editable format. Writer has already met my expectations in that regard. I don't mind a few formatting adjustments. The hard part is done.)

Perhaps just a Word reader will do?

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
Eugene
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My purpose is not pure criticism. I want to help make OOo better. For that I posted an issue:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=63940
Vote for it if you observed such behavior of OOo
Westland
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tested your Kursovaya.doc file.

I can replicate the problem.
How did you insert the Graphic in the Word file ? I notice a little strange detail: when I'm opening the file in Word, it takes some time for that specific graphic to show (it's not much, but it's noticeable).
If I copy the graphic and paste it on the same page (using Word), I can later open the file with OOo and see the image, without problems.
Eugene
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how this file was created. I got it from my student. The matter is to make OpenOffice work properly with such documents.
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugene wrote:
I don't know how this file was created. I got it from my student. The matter is to make OpenOffice work properly with such documents.

Ah, there's a note a the bottom of the issue stating that if you save the Word 2003 document in Word, and open it again, the graphic comes through all right (if I remember the comment correctly).

Based on Westland's ability to recreate the problem, and on the note about the slight delay in display, I have a thought.

I wonder if it was inserted as Picture>From File, using the Insert and Link option (in which case there is a delay in Word before the picture displays)... And perhaps without the original to link to, which you and Westland obviously would not have, re-saving the file in Word may break the link and change the format to a standard inserted picture. In the version before breaking that link, Writer might have been trying to follow a link that didn't exist, and couldn't reconcile the result.

Pure conjecture, of course, but it's a thought.

groeswenphil
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had exactly the same problem for ages.

Trying to insert a simple jpg image. Sometimes it shows, sometimes it shows simply as a place-holder.
However, when you convert the file to a PDF, the image shows perfectly.

So........looking through the answers am I correct to say that at the moment there appears to be no answer?
Phil
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

groeswenphil wrote:
I've had exactly the same problem for ages.

Trying to insert a simple jpg image. Sometimes it shows, sometimes it shows simply as a place-holder.
However, when you convert the file to a PDF, the image shows perfectly.

So........looking through the answers am I correct to say that at the moment there appears to be no answer?
Phil

Exactly, step for step, what do you do to insert the image?

groeswenphil
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I click INSERT>PICTURE> from file.

I'm not trying to do anything exotic...just put a jpeg onto a page.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it just shows as a place-holder.
Thanks,
Phil
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

groeswenphil wrote:
Hi, I click INSERT>PICTURE> from file.

I'm not trying to do anything exotic...just put a jpeg onto a page.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it just shows as a place-holder.
Thanks,
Phil

I understand, but where are you doing it? Are you working solely within Writer, are you linking to the graphic (is the Link box selected?) or embedding it, are you using Draw or some other program to create the graphic, are you inserting the graphic in a Word document before opening the document in Writer (which is the problem being discussed in this thread)? Both Word and Writer have Insert>Picture>From File... and not every graphic translator uses the exact same encoding for a file format, so one application's jpeg can be silghtly different from another's.

Question

What version of OOo (and Word, if applicable) and what OS?

groeswenphil
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you working solely within Writer,
Yes......I'm writing a text document.

are you linking to the graphic
No

or embedding it,

Yes....I think that's what I'm doing
are you using Draw or some other program to create the graphic,

No
are you inserting the graphic in a Word document before opening the document in Writer
No......just trying to use Open Office on its own,
However, if I create a document in Open Office and experience this graphic insertion problem, if I then try to open the document in Word, the graphic shows correctly.

This is what the problem looks like.
Thanks for the help,
Phil

[img]http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43c1701ez4bef502e/b566/__sr_/1898.jpg?phQTRREBHtuF2N6i/[img][/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: