OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

OO hanging Ubuntu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hallmerle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: OO hanging Ubuntu Reply with quote

I've recently been having trouble with OO hanging under Ubuntu.

OO version 1.9.129-0.1ubuntu4 which is the latest on Synaptec.
Ubuntu 5.10 (according to the About Ubuntu)

Mostly it appears to happen any time I try to work with images but can occur at other times as well.

The screen starts flashing small "Error" dialog boxes, the Desktop Panel disappears, and all other open programs disappear. Sometimes I can Alt-tab to get back to other programs, but then touching anything makes them disappear again after which they are no longer available. The desktop background image stays in place. Right-clicking makes all desktop icons disappear. At this point, the only thing I can do is hit the reset button and reboot. I can get to a full-screen terminal by hitting a Ctrl-Alt-F key though I don't recall which one at the moment.

Usually, after the reboot, when I try to open OO it asks if I want to recover the document and, if I say yes, it does so, before always successfully. This last time, when it attempts to recover it, it appears to do so, then simply cycles through all over again asking the same questions. I watched the tmp folder while it's doing this and it's creating folders named sv2jp.tmp (or similar) which contains about 2 dozen similarly named files which are actually PNG files of OO fill images. Every time it cycles, it creates a new tmp folder with similar but not the same images in it. There is now also in tmp a file named:

OSL_PIPE_1000_SingleOfficeIPC_e4d2a1a9c9942c14b5c13d1aef109249

I've tried deleting all the tmp files and rebooting. It simply recreates them as well as now the OSL file.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
hallmerle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: oh...and Reply with quote

I did completely uninstall OO and reinstall. No difference.
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: OO hanging Ubuntu Reply with quote

hallmerle wrote:
OO version 1.9.129-0.1ubuntu4 which is the latest on Synaptec.

That's an old OOo 2.0 Beta. That's all Ubuntu can do for you? Horrible.

With kind regards
hol.sten
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know how to extract, convert RPM files to DEB with alien and then install them with DPKG using the command line interface, I recommend that you download OOo from www.openoffice.org

I seriously thought that the repository was updated to 2.0.x after the official release of 2.0? Installing (early) betas like Ubuntu does is a crime and the slow update process doesnt help a bit. To my knowledge Ubuntu Breeze is still waiting for Firefox 1.5 ... I wouldnt know, I stopped using it.
el_mati
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, could we do any better than throwing offences over distributions, Linux is Linux, It comes in differents flawors and thats something good, not a bad thing, if we want to all to have the same thing we'll still using windows.
There are many people with these problem. Including me, and changing the distribution we are using isn't the solution. Please, please, focus in the problem.

Or is that I can't get support just becouse I'm using a distribution that you don't like?.
9point9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old topic!
el_mati wrote:
Hey, could we do any better than throwing offences over distributions, Linux is Linux, It comes in differents flawors and thats something good, not a bad thing, if we want to all to have the same thing we'll still using windows.
There are many people with these problem. Including me, and changing the distribution we are using isn't the solution. Please, please, focus in the problem.

Well, problems in a distro do stem from poor management and QA. I only complain about distros breaking things because I'd rather they didn't do it again.

Ubuntu offered a beta OOo for months and broke X.org a few weeks a go, which they shouldn't have done. Fedora managed to break OOo by compiling it with an unready version of GCC, Mandriva delivered a broken Lisa and pre-release X.org which didn't work for some people, Vector's installer winds me up, SUSE's SAX utility is not fool proof and will ruin a working X.org as you can't manually override it's incorrect driver choice, it's installer couldn't cope with a disk, Gentoo developers seem to hate each other, so do Debian's, Ubuntu CE isn't even a distro, no distro I've ever used will use a Yamaha OPL-3SA soundchip properly, most of them like fiddling with package names for no particularly well explained reason, thus leaving dependency problems for 3rd party packages....... I could go on all day but only because I want them to be better.

el_mati wrote:
Or is that I can't get support just becouse I'm using a distribution that you don't like?.

You didn't even say which distro you are using. You haven't even posted in this topic before. I probably still don't like it though. Still, I'd help you. What's the problem?

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you come to the OpenOffice forum with a distro-related problem, you've come to the wrong place.

There's no call for taking offence if the suggestion is made that you install the version straight from OpenOffice.

If you have a problem with your distro's version, go to your distro. Why so many distros find it necessary to tamper with the software is beyond me.
el_mati
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_mati wrote:

You didn't even say which distro you are using. You haven't even posted in this topic before. I probably still don't like it though. Still, I'd help you. What's the problem?[/quote]

Yes, I have posted, not in this topic, but in this forum. May be I wasn't very explicit, but I gave for understood that was the same problem the same distro.

When I posted I have readed the most of the threads opened with this problem. None of them with a solution. The comment of hol.sten was the one that pissed me off since I have readed some similiar positions in other threads. And most of you should know by now, this is a behaviour widely spread in lnux forums, "that distro sux try this one" and so.

It was a bad attitude from me, I know, to react like that and should calm down and don't post.

and norathon, you are right!. but since ubuntu forums (in general not that specific web site) gives me, I can't talk for others, a solution I came here.

I apologize.

keep walking theres nothing to see here Razz.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite surprised by the aggressive posts about the OS supported here. Everyone is free to have the OS he thinks is the best for him. OOo set a great target i.e. being a good suite multi-platform, therefore, why Ubuntu users should go to their forums for an OOo issue ? There is perhaps a distro specific problem but there is probably also a solution. What about the IE related issues (pictures copy/paste) ? Isn't it a distro problem (XP) since it doesn't appear like that with browser on Linux) ?

Yes distros do some mistakes (like OOo when they remove the paths configuration for example). Who don't do mistakes ? Is it a reason to refuse our help to their users ?

Note that Ubuntu deliver a kind of packaged OS, then if they don't test a new version with an old distro, they don't put it in the repository, but some do it as non official rep. Try to install 2.0.3 on Windows 95, I'm sure you'll have the same problem.

For the problem itself : either you modify the Synaptic sources list to add a repository with latest OOo version (you can find them easily with Google), or you install from the RPMs. I advise the latter : the process is really easy and quick (and the new version appears in Synaptic). Note that in Ubuntu, you have to completely remove the version delivered by default (all openoffice.org... packages in Synaptic) before installing the new one. If you've already manually installed an other version, then, you don't need to remove it, apt will do its job fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: