OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Variable Row Numbers When Dragging HLOOKUP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fargone
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Variable Row Numbers When Dragging HLOOKUP Reply with quote

=IF(ISNA(HLOOKUP($C$2;$PRICE.$C$1:$O$36;2;0));"NOT STANDARD";HLOOKUP($C$2;$PRICE.$C$1:$O$36;2;0))

How do I get the row number, '2' in this case, to change to 3, 4, 5...... etc when I copy the formula into multiple cells of a column?

I know I can go through and manually change them but that is just asking for human error plus I'm lazy.
french
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete the dollar sign ($) from in front of the row number in the formula.
RickRandom
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have usually had to put a column of 2, 3, 4, etc next to where the LOOKUP function is going, then in the LOOKUP refer (as a relative address) to the cell with the 2 in it instead of putting 2 in. Then fill down.

I don't know of a way to fully automate it.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

=IF(ISNA(HLOOKUP($C$2;$PRICE.$C$1:$O$36;ROW($IV2);0));"NOT STANDARD";HLOOKUP($C$2;$PRICE.$C$1:$O$36;ROW($IV2);0))
I use column IV, hoping that it is not involved (avoiding circular reference). You may use $OtherSheet.$A2 as well.
fargone
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Once again the support for Ooo is super.

Substituting ROW($IV2) worked like a charm but I'm kind of fuzzy on why it works?

What does the $IV mean? When I am helping my daughter with her school work and she asks me why I did this I don't want to say "Do not question the Mighty Villeroy. Just do what he says."
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the bold 2 in your initial posting with something that returnes 2 in the first row and consecutive row-numbers in case it's copied down wards.
See help on row. The missing $ does exactly the same as french suggested for your $C$2 -> $C2. When you copy up or down a formula, having relative row-references (missing $ before row-numbers) the row-numbers adjust to their new position. Same with columns references, missing $ and copy direction left or right.
Simply use some free cell-range and copy around some formulas ROW(), COLUMN(), ROW(X123), COLUMN($X123),ROW($X$123),...
fargone
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: ROW FUNCTION Reply with quote

I did play around with =ROW($IV2) and now see that the $IV can be $ANY_COLUMN_LETTER as long as it does not refer to a column that is actually in use in the spreadsheet.

Now I have to go back and rework all my previous spreadsheet templates and make them function more efficiently. Made myself more work. A little knowledge IS dangerous.

Thanks again everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: