OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Basic Question

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
razlo
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 09 May 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Basic Question Reply with quote

I am fairly new to using spreadsheets. I have been using OO 2.0 for about a week now. The work I have been using it for was only in need of default addition. Now I want to get it to default to division so I don't have to adjust the formula each time....adding "/" for every line.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nigel
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast


Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 140

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me an example of the sort of calculations that you want to do? For example, does it involve a series of numbers in a column, or at various places in the spreadsheet? Is your request about changing the "+" key to function as a "/" key, or something different?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
razlo
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 09 May 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thanks for the response.

I want to change the the function of the sum button/imput line. As is now, when I click the button it adds A1 with A2{=SUM(A1:A2)}....I want it to automatically show/calculate =SUM(A1/A2).

I am calculating multiple sets of numbers, manually putting in the "/" each time is time consuming/a hassle....Especially when highlighting the entire row. It adds all except the last one which has the formula in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nigel
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast


Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 140

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose a macro could be used to assign this function to another button on the toolbar. However, I'm sure somebody will come up with a simpler solution for you, having in mind that you are a new user, as you say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Villeroy
Super User
Super User


Joined: 04 Oct 2004
Posts: 10106
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Basic Question Reply with quote

razlo wrote:
I am fairly new to using spreadsheets. I have been using OO 2.0 for about a week now. The work I have been using it for was only in need of default addition. Now I want to get it to default to division so I don't have to adjust the formula each time....adding "/" for every line.

A1:B10000 has numbers
Formula in C1: =$A1 / $B1
Gives the value of this row (missing $) in exactly column A divided by Gives the value of this row (missing $) in exactly column B.
Copy down C1 to C2:C10000.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RickRandom
Super User
Super User


Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Posts: 1082
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is important for newbies to note that you only use SUM when you want to add up a load of numbers. You don't use it for doing any other sort of "sums".

If you just want a calculation, then type it in, but start with an = sign.

Say you want 2 times 3 plus 27, just type

=2*3+27

press enter, and the answer will show in the cell.

DON'T type =SUM(2*3+27)

Use SUM when you want to add all the numbers in cell A1 to A10:

=SUM(A1:A10)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 6732
Location: Kingston ON Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickRandom wrote:
It is important for newbies to note that you only use SUM when you want to add up a load of numbers. You don't use it for doing any other sort of "sums".

If you just want a calculation, then type it in, but start with an = sign.

Say you want 2 times 3 plus 27, just type

=2*3+27

press enter, and the answer will show in the cell.

DON'T type =SUM(2*3+27)

Use SUM when you want to add all the numbers in cell A1 to A10:

=SUM(A1:A10)


Why? I prefer to use sum() myself. It seems to be better documentation
_________________
jrkrideau
Kingston ON Canada
Currently using Windows 7 & OOo 3.4.0 and Ubuntu 12.04 & LibreOffice 3.5.2.2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BillP
Super User
Super User


Joined: 07 Jan 2006
Posts: 2703

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razlo wrote:
Hello, thanks for the response.

I want to change the the function of the sum button/imput line. As is now, when I click the button it adds A1 with A2{=SUM(A1:A2)}....I want it to automatically show/calculate =SUM(A1/A2).

I am calculating multiple sets of numbers, manually putting in the "/" each time is time consuming/a hassle....Especially when highlighting the entire row. It adds all except the last one which has the formula in.


I am assuming you have two rows of numbers, row 1 and row 2, and you want to divide numbers in row 1 by the number directly below it in row 2 and display the result directly below them in row 3. To do this, select cell A3, type in the formula =A1/A2 and press Enter. Now reselect A3 and copy. This copies the formula in cell A3. Now select the other cells in row 3 below every set of numbers in rows 1 and 2 and paste the formula. You don't have to adjust the formula. Calc does it automatically.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RickRandom
Super User
Super User


Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Posts: 1082
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrkrideau wrote:
RickRandom wrote:
It is important for newbies to note that you only use SUM when you want to add up a load of numbers. You don't use it for doing any other sort of "sums".

If you just want a calculation, then type it in, but start with an = sign.

Say you want 2 times 3 plus 27, just type

=2*3+27

press enter, and the answer will show in the cell.

DON'T type =SUM(2*3+27)

Use SUM when you want to add all the numbers in cell A1 to A10:

=SUM(A1:A10)


Why? I prefer to use sum() myself. It seems to be better documentation


My wording was a bit strong, perhaps - sorry. My view is that using SUM(...) is a waste of time, and perpetuates the myth that it is necessary, but from your point of view, it doesn't do any harm.

You could use MIN(...) or MAX(...) or PRODUCT(...) or many other functions that are capable of working with multiple arguments but in this case you are only giving it one argument, so that's what it returns.

I suggest that if a formula starts getting complicated, the extra SUM and brackets make it more difficult to get all the syntax correct.

But each to their own. It's just worth any user knowing what is necessary and what isn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group