Joined: 04 Oct 2005
|Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:55 am Post subject: how to use openindexer 2 as multi-user app in local networks
|how to let openindexer 2.0 become a multi-user network solution
1. install openindexer 2.0 on the file server where your OOo files are stored.
2. share the program directory of openindexer and the directory where your OOo files are stored (normally this is just the case in order to let users access from the network).
3. in the openindexer options, even if the files are locally stored, specify UNC paths to the folders where the OOo files are stored.
example of an UNC path:
\\[server name]\[OOo folder name]
the path has to be UNC because it contains the name of the network pc where the files are stored.
4. specify the options "check folders automatically" and "launch at system startup" in order to let openindexer run completely automatic.
the server configuration is finished.
5. create on the desktop of a network pc a shortcut to the ellipsis search engine on the server:
the client configuration is finished
repeat step 5 on every pc where you like to "install" a search engine for your OOo files on your network server.
- openindexer 2.0 has to be installed on a winNT based system.
- install openindexer 2.0 on the file server because indexing will be faster and you need only the server to run in order to search from your pc.
- we tested this solution in a test network of 4 computer and it worked fine. any feedback, positive or negative, is wellcome.
info & download openindexer: www.san-com.net