OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Embed sound files permanently

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyuchulyoon

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Embed sound files permanently Reply with quote

I've been using Impress for some time and had no problems until some time ago.
I usually use the "Interaction" menu to embed sound files. But when I move the Impress file to another computer WITHOUT the embedded sound files, it won't play the embedded sound files. Even if I carry the sound files to that computer, it still won't play them because, I guess, Impress stores the absolute file paths. You change the computer, then depending on the partition of the new computer, the file paths are all wrong, thus no sound at all. With Powerpoint, the default setting is that files smaller than 100K are permanently embedded, so you won't have to carry around the sound files. You can even increase the file size limit. I actually increased the limit to embed some larger sound files.
Is there a way in Impress to permanently embed sound files so that the the single Impress file can play all the embedded sound files?
I usually carry my presentation file to a CD-RW/DVD-RW and when I do that with Impress, all the sound file paths get messed up. I can't even designate the file paths manually, which makes me give up on using Impress for the presentation and instead create a Powerpoint file. I'd appreciate your help on this.
amcguire
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having similar problems and have found a couple of other threads that seem to have similar issues but no one is responding to how to fix the problem.

Here is what I am finding on a current project. When I attach a sound file (Insert -> Movie and Sound) it is only linked to the Impress document. If the Impress file is shared or the media file is moved, the sound or movie does not work.

The question is, how do you embed these media files into the *.odp file so it can be shared? The pictures are automatically put in there in the "Pictures" folder (you find this when you "unzip" the *.pdp file).
SAMIAM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: embed sound files in Impress Reply with quote

I haven't figured this out for Impress at all yet. It doesn't seem to work.

In MS PowerPoint, inserting a sound file means that you are actually inserting a link. So you can't send the PPT file to someone and have them hear the file unless they have the sound file in the same location as you do .... not very helpful. The icon for that is a yellow speaker.

In MS PowerPoint, if you insert an OBJECT and have that object be a WAV file (no other type of sound file works easily, without extra steps), then a gray speaker icon appears and one can click on that TRULY embedded object and the sound file will play.

I wish I knew how to do this in Impress. All I get is a "plug in" icon that is just dead on the page when I try to insert an object that is a sound. Can't edit it. Can't do anything with it.
vgerris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has an answer after over three years?
In Powerpoint, under tools - options, general, one can set the file limit for linking (to max 50 mb).
This makes the sounds embedded in the ppt.

I do hope OpenOffice has a similar feature?
It would be nice if a better solutiion is provided than that in ppt.
anyone?
rbbrain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Embed sound files permanently - also movie files and picture Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been struggling for a while (v 3.2.0) with this type of issue, and it is horridly frustrating.

That is, Insert any sort of picture, movie, sound file into Impress, and the resulting Impress file is NOT transportable. With inserted pictures we can "break the link" and imbed the file. But best use practises say we should leave them external. For larger files I agree.

OO needs to be able to link to pictures, movies and sound (etc.) using a RELATIVE file path.
We know that HTML best practise is to have such things in a sub-directory typically named IMAGES, and the HTML link is a RELATIVE link. This makes the whole HTML page and imbedded items totally transportable to another folder-path, or computer, or up to the web.

If OO has this feature currently, I cannot find it. The product seems to make ALL links ABSOLUTE, so when you move a "package" of Impress (or Writer, etc.) and its files to another computer, it is necessary to painstakingly re-make all the external links. I am sorry that I cannot understand why we don't have a facility here to make the links RELATIVE.

If this RELATIVE path option is not currently included, I think it should be made a high priority.

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers
RasmusHoell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don´t know if this is old news to you by now, but there is a subfolder option and it works!

http://plan-b-for-openoffice.org/ooo-help/r2.1/en-US/WIN/shared/guide/hyperlink_rel_abs

The relative subfolder option seems to be checked by default in the program.

The program definately has its lacks stil, but overall it is quite nice. It is really good considering it´s free!
Ranleri
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Embed sound files permanently Reply with quote

kyuchulyoon wrote:
I've been using Impress for some time and had no problems until some time ago.
I usually use the "Interaction" menu to embed sound files. But when I move the Impress file to another computer WITHOUT the embedded sound files, it won't play the embedded sound files. Even if I carry the sound files to that computer, it still won't play them because, I guess, Impress stores the absolute file paths. You change the computer, then depending on the partition of the new computer, the file paths are all wrong, thus no sound at all. With Powerpoint, the default setting is that files smaller than 100K are permanently embedded, so you won't have to carry around the sound files. You can even increase the file size limit. I actually increased the limit to embed some larger sound files.
Is there a way in Impress to permanently embed sound files so that the the single Impress file can play all the embedded sound files?
I usually carry my presentation file to a CD-RW/DVD-RW and when I do that with Impress, all the sound file paths get messed up. I can't even designate the file paths manually, which makes me give up on using Impress for the presentation and instead create a Powerpoint file. I'd appreciate your help on this.

I know the thread is too old to reply. But I am facing same problem now so how to solve it?
ristoi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just same problem with sound (midi) files.
Curioiusly saving to .ppt format made presentation transportable so that both LibO and AOO Impress was capable playing sounds. Unfortunately they both lost ability for animations. Still playing with MS PP Viewer animations works. So they are corretcly converted by export filter but import filter is some how not so good for .ppt or .pps -files.

For MS PP users this midi sounds are no good, so there seem not to be universal solution.

Finally I decided to save midi-files into outside server (where my somekind www-pages are) and linking them to .odp-file. Nowadays almost everybody has Internet connenction, so this solution is quite OK for viewers of presentations. But not so good for creators.
johncloe458

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Yet the impression was not thinking at all. It does not seem to work.

When you insert a sound file in MS PowerPoint actually means to insert a link. PPT files to other people, so you will not be able to send you the sound file in the same location as such if they they can listen to the file .... Help very much. For it is the yellow speaker icon.

You insert an object, and the object (other types of sound files easily without the extra step to work) WAV files, MS PowerPoint, if be gray speaker icon appears in one of the truly embedded objects and sounds can click this is the file is played.

Impress to do this, I would like to know how. All I get when I insert a sound object on the page icon just die "plug-in" is. It can not be edited. Can not do anything with it.

=================================================

Additional information:- ( Financial Topic )
kindly ignor if you don't have interest.

Based on these emergency cash loans need money and you do not have a better option in front of fast cash loans are given to people. These loans do paper work or does not request documents. All the paperwork by fax or other procedure requirements. These loans without credit checks of any kind will be given to people. All procedures because of the lack of these loans is very easy to use.
bansal24

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't figured this out for Impress at all yet. It doesn't seem to work.
ristoi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I must use Finnish: "Mistä näitä tulee?"
Here is link to .ppt-file I create wiht AOO 4.0.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/rjaaskel/1/Menu/OOo/audiotesti.ppt

If you load & run it and hear voices what is explanation?
Crutchley
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. You change the computer, then depending on the partition of the new computer, the file paths are all wrong, thus no sound at all. With Powerpoint, the default setting is that files smaller than 100K are permanently embedded, so you won't have to carry around the sound files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: