OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

No toolbars/menus in OOo apps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otaku
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: No toolbars/menus in OOo apps Reply with quote

Hello,

I just installed OpenOffice 2.0 (the latest release) on my Windows Server 2003 machine. The install went fine, but none of the applications (Writer, Calc, etc) have any toolbars or menus. What gives?

Here is a screenshot:

Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest release (apart from testing versions) is 2.0.2 and I understand that 2.0.3 is to be released soon. Where did you get your installer? If from OOo, you need to check the integrity of your download.
otaku
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

md5 checksum comes out clean. The download was from the OpenOffice.org site.

It is the 2.0.2 version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
otaku
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd appreciate any help anyone could provide me on this.
pulsifer
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The user running OOo needs to have read access to the OOo installation directories (usually, C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0 and its subdirectories). It might be that the user is unable to read files needed for OOo to run, esp. files in the subdirectory C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0\share.

Last edited by pulsifer on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
otaku
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulsifer,

Thanks for the help. I have added "Everyone" as a user for both directories and have given "Everyone" full control, but the problem remains and I do not have any toolbars or menus in my installation of OOo.

Any other ideas?
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably like you, I have reached the bottom of the barrel. I can think of nothing other than running the installer again. Embarassed
otaku
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noranthon,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, a re-install is not fixing my problem. My OpenOffice installation still does not have any menus or toolbars. It is totally useless.

Any other ideas? Can I just not use the program for some reason?
pulsifer
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the name of distribution file you are trying to install and where did you download it from? There might be a problem with the localization. You could try downloading and installing the English version at openoffice.org

Last edited by pulsifer on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting in here late, so apologies if I'm restating something you've already tried:

At the top of the doc window, you have what looks like two empty toolbars with down arrows at teir right edge (in the top left corner of the screen shot). Have you tried clicking the arrow? It may be that you have toolbars there with all the buttons' visibility unchecked. If I'm right, clicking the arrow will give you a menu, select Visible buttons and start ticking those that you want to see/use. You will have to do this for both the toolbars.

The missing menu is more puzzling. I don't know what I woud do to fix that.

Other thoughts:
- have you tried running setup again and selecting Repair when prompted?
- OOo 1.1.x did not support MS UNC paths. I'm not sure, but I do not think that OOo has UNC support either - so you have to use mapped network drives.

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulsifer, he's already mentioned that he got the installer from OOo and the md5sum checked out.

This one even has Google beaten.

Two questions:
1. Have you tried installing on one of your client machines?
2. Did you do a complete install or a custom install?
otaku
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: More information Reply with quote

I wanted to post a quick update on what is going on.

I re-installed OpenOffice as someone here suggested, but that does not seem to have fixed the problem.

As you see in the picture above, none of my OpenOffice applications show a menu bar or toolbar, just an empty spot where they should be.

I launched OpenOffice Writer, clicked on the little drop down menu on one of the empty toolbars, and chose Customize Toolbar...

When the Customize dialog box comes up, I click on the Menus tab. Writer will suddenly quit, and I will get an error that OpenOffice quit due to an unexpected error and it offers to recover my documents. No other information is given as to why OpenOffice quit.

The same thing happens in all of the included OpenOffice applications.

What can be causing this? I have been searching on Google and though I have found some people with similar problems, I have not found any fix that would apply to my situation.

A bit more on my system:

I do have Microsoft Office 2003 installed as well as Microsoft Windows Server 2003. I am running with 2GB of RAM on a 2.4GHz AMD Athlon 64 CPU on an ABIT KV8-Pro motherboard (VIA chipset).

Not sure if any of this is helpful to troubleshooting this problem.

Thanks for any additional help anyone can provide.[/u]
noranthon
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tired of not finding anything. If you have no luck here, you might try the users' list or, what looks like your best bet, file an issue. I tried, among other things, searching the users list archives and "issues". The latter produced no results, even when all versions of Windows are selected, but that's a common experience. Sad
9point9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wlthough there are no menu items or icons, can you still click on anything there?

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
pulsifer
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect a problem reading the menu and toolbar configuration data.

Focusing for a moment on the menus, the menu items for Writer (English) are stored in "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\menubar.xml"

If you run filemon from sysinternals.com, set the include filter to "menubar" and log opens and reads, then launch Writer, this is what you should see:

-------------

10:25:32 AM soffice.bin:2132 OPEN C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
10:25:32 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation: *
10:25:32 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation
10:25:32 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ NO MORE FILES FileBothDirectoryInformation
10:25:32 AM soffice.bin:2132 OPEN C:\Documents and Settings\Allen\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
10:25:32 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Documents and Settings\Allen\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation: *
10:25:32 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Documents and Settings\Allen\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation
10:25:32 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Documents and Settings\Allen\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ NO MORE FILES FileBothDirectoryInformation
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 OPEN C:\Documents and Settings\Allen\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Documents and Settings\Allen\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation: *
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Documents and Settings\Allen\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Documents and Settings\Allen\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ NO MORE FILES FileBothDirectoryInformation
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 OPEN C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation: *
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ NO MORE FILES FileBothDirectoryInformation
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 OPEN C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation: menubar.xml
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 DIRECTORY C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\ SUCCESS FileBothDirectoryInformation: menubar.xml
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 OPEN C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\menubar.xml SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 OPEN C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\menubar.xml SUCCESS Options: Open Access: All
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 QUERY INFORMATION C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\menubar.xml BUFFER OVERFLOW FileFsVolumeInformation
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 QUERY INFORMATION C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\menubar.xml SUCCESS FileInternalInformation
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 QUERY INFORMATION C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\menubar.xml SUCCESS Length: 29125
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 READ C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\menubar.xml SUCCESS Offset: 0 Length: 16384
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 READ C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\menubar.xml SUCCESS Offset: 16384 Length: 16384
10:25:33 AM soffice.bin:2132 READ C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.0.2\share\config\soffice.cfg\modules\swriter\menubar\menubar.xml END OF FILE Offset: 29125 Length: 16384

--------------

It would be interesting to see if you get the same output, or if you get one or more errors attempting to find and read the file menubar.xml.

Last edited by pulsifer on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: